New member in upstate South Carolina

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbynum

Reaction score
We just bought a used 2022 LT for my wife. She had a 2013 LS that I'll take over. Most people recommended a Honda or Toyota, but they don't fit me in either left or right seat.

Standard stuff wasn't even optional in 2013! Nice car.

Flash

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Wife has the 21 Premier. Hope to visit your Upcountry area this late fall. Think it is called Mountain Rest? Wife is very happy with her Equinox, although a bit small for longer trips.

gbynum

Reaction score
You PROBABLY mean Travelers Rest although there is a Mountain Rest, an unincorporated community near the Chattooga River in northwestern Oconee County, South Carolina.

TR, as many locals refer to it (It's a little derogatory to others), is an interesting suburb of Greenville. It has Furman University within its post office and many small family restaurants.

Mountain Rest is little more than a crossroads.

I concur with the size issue. We're both retired and it will hold all we need. We've kids and grandkids with minivans and large SUVs we could borrow if really needed.

Flash

Reaction score
You PROBABLY mean Travelers Rest although there is a Mountain Rest, an unincorporated community near the Chattooga River in northwestern Oconee County, South Carolina.

TR, as many locals refer to it (It's a little derogatory to others), is an interesting suburb of Greenville. It has Furman University within its post office and many small family restaurants.

Mountain Rest is little more than a crossroads.

I concur with the size issue. We're both retired and it will hold all we need. We've kids and grandkids with minivans and large SUVs we could borrow if really needed.
Nope,it is Mountain Rest. Have a cabin rental for a week. We like the quiet and of course, we will do some traveling. River runs right by it, although it will be late October, so fishing may be well over with by then.
Her car is great for more local trips. I bought a Traverse which will handle these longer trips and is a bit more comfortable.

gbynum

Reaction score
It's a beautiful part of the state. You'll be near where the river crosses the SC-GA line where some of Deliverance was filmed. Rafting, kayaking, and floating are popular along that stretch of the river, but getting wet might border on dangerous in October. Don't do that alone, but I'm sure you know that.

Flash

Reaction score
It's a beautiful part of the state. You'll be near where the river crosses the SC-GA line where some of Deliverance was filmed. Rafting, kayaking, and floating are popular along that stretch of the river, but getting wet might border on dangerous in October. Don't do that alone, but I'm sure you know that.

No a bit of hiking at best. Wife will be getting over a surgery, so it will be more site seeing. I may try to wet a line. If you know any good restaurants to try, let me know. Probably Walhalla area. We usually bring some of my BBQ along on these trips.

gbynum

Reaction score
If you know any good restaurants to try, let me know. Probably Walhalla area. We usually bring some of my BBQ along on these trips.
No restaurant recommendations. I used to visit one manufacturing plant regularly, but just hit the fast food joints usually. And that's over 15 years ago.

Flash

Reaction score
No restaurant recommendations. I used to visit one manufacturing plant regularly, but just hit the fast food joints usually. And that's over 15 years ago.
We are retired for some time now. This will be our first real getaway since the wife took a bad fall. Hoping for some color but may be a little late being end of October.

Members online