New Kid on the Block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bachldrs

Reaction score
Just signed onto this Forum moments ago. ' Found you all by Googling "Equinox Owners Club". We've had the 'Nox for 13 months now, having bought it June 30th, 2010, and just turned over the first 10K miles. Trouble-free except TPM went out at about 7K. No problem - replaced under warranty.

Technically, the car is my wife's. I remain philosophically opposed to new cars but since the 2010 model was without precedent, I could not find anything in the used car market to compare. At our advancing age, my wife really wanted one new car in her life, so we sprung for it. It's an LT1 four-cylinder. ' Considered a V6 with AWD but we wanted the mpg of the four. Previously, the wife had a '97 LeSabre and, with her severe neck and back problems, she swore she would never find another ride as good. It was about the only car she could ride in - save my 1973 MGB/GT.

At the GM dealer, we test-drove a Lucerne, a Malibu, and the Nox. She liked the ride of the Nox the best of all - and perhaps even better than the old LeSabre. I can add that it handles much better and is a lot more fun to drive than the old bathtub. One thing Buick really got right on those old cars, though, was the 3.8 liter engine - very smooth and quiet, quite fast, and fiercely economical at 28-30 mpg highway. Rated at 32 mpg highway, the four-cylinder Nox is slightly better - although getting the rated 32 mpg out of it takes some gentle, attentive, driving - preferably with a tailwind.

If you cast mpg to the wind, the four gets pretty fun to listen to while it's still pulling hard at around 7 grand or more. I find the performance pretty amazing. ' Wonder if the 2.4 would fit in one of my MGs (is GM using this engine in any rear-wheel-drive applications?). One gripe: too much lag on downshifts - can make passing on two-lane road downright dangerous if you don't allow for the downshift to happen before you pull out to pass. Otherwise, ' love the smooth six-speed tranny. Like the Buick, it's smooth ride will fool you, and I frequently find that when I'm accelerating on to a freeway, I get up to 10-20 mph faster than it feels before I notice. I also love the feel and performance of the brakes. Even hard stops are never 'hard". Rather, the car smoothly and rapidly decelerates with seemingly no sense of forward "Gs". Suddenly you're stopped - no fuss, no muss.

The fact that it qualifies as an SUV means nothing to us. We love the ease of getting our septuagenarian bodies in and out of the high, comfortable seats, and the most rear foot-room since the '48 DeSoto Suburban.

Two minor complaints over the design: a car of this quality and thoughtful design should have a rear seat that folds completely flat; and I am forever bumping the cruise control rocker switch to the "off" position with the palm of my left hand. Otherwise, this is an extremely well-made car that really delivers on its promise.

' Hope to hear from other owners - what attracted them to this car, what they like and dislike, what problems they've had, etc. I don't know anything about pre-2010 Noxes - but was attracted by the new claims for the 2010 design. So far, I haven't been disappointed.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I have a 2010 LT2 with the V6. We love it. We were looking at Tahoe's but the wife thought it was too big. So we looked at the traverse. She thought it looked too much like a mini van. I knew nothing of the NEW look on the Equinox when we were looking July 09.

I would never have even test drove a first gen Equinox. Looks like a egg on wheels to me.

Once we saw the new style and test drove it we loved it. It comes with great features and seems to be a good quality car. We have had no issues with it yet at around 40k miles on it.

I love the leather in it. I wish I had leather in my Duramax but I have it in my Aurora and the quality of it in the NOX is amazing. I love the smell of it every time I get in it.

We took a trip to Charlotte not too long ago and we got anywhere from 26-29 mpg's but I had to drive like a granny to get it.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Oh and I will say I do not have the same issue with the cruise but it is the best functioning cruise control I have ever used...

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

The Pontiac Solstice used the 2.0 Turbo LNF motor ( 260 hp 260 lb·ft) and was rear wheel drive, that would be a whole lot of fun in an old MG.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
I used to have one of these and always wanted to drop a 350 in it, but I bet the LNF would be a blast in it.

1970%202000.jpg

Lets see if anyone can tell what kind of car that is.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
Lot older then a miata,
It did have front wheel disk brakes and a 5 speed.

Members online

No members online now.