How long will it run?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Severum17

Reaction score
Went to the grocery today. Was distracted when it beeped twice at me and when I came out at least 30 minutes later it was still running. Transmitter was with me. Isn't ther6 some kind of built in timer or will it just run out of gas? 2018 1.5

Last edited:

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
i just looked in the manual. I didn't see anything about an automatic shutoff. I don't think you could drive it very far without the fob. There are warnings about leaving it running.

Severum17

Reaction score
I'm sure it won't go far without the fob. Seems like if you were to pull in the garage and walk away, that would be a problem. There has to be some kind of timer for inactivity.

Last edited:

Severum17

Reaction score
I'm sure it won't go far without the fob. Seems like if you were to pull in the garage and walk away, that would be a problem. There has to be some kind of timer for inactivity.
I found this in the owners manual : Seems like an hour is way too long.

If the vehicle is left parked and
running with the RKE transmitter
outside the vehicle, it will turn off
after one hour.
inside the vehicle, it will turn off after
two hours.

Lee

Reaction score
I found this in the owners manual : Seems like an hour is way too long.

outside the vehicle, it will turn off
after one hour.
inside the vehicle, it will turn off after
two hours.
A couple years ago when I did a map update on my 2018 the car had to be running to do the update and it shut off after one hour.
I may have went back in the house for something and left the fob there before returning to the car.

Lee

Reaction score
The fob is only needed to start the car. It will keep running no matter the distance. If you stop somewhere it will not restart.
On our motorcycles if we start the bike and take off without the fob a warning will show on the dash "Fob Out Of Range"
I didn't look in the Equinox manual to see if a similar warning shows on the dash if you happen to leave the fob behind.

ricklack

Reaction score
Looks like they changed the timing on the newer models, from my 2022 manual:

Extended Parking
If the vehicle is left parked and running with the RKE transmitter outside the vehicle, it will continue to run for up to 15 minutes.

If the vehicle is left parked and running with the RKE transmitter inside the vehicle, it will continue to run for up to 30 minutes.

The vehicle could turn off sooner if it is parked on a hill, due to lack of available fuel.

The timer will reset if the vehicle is taken out of P (Park) while it is running.

Severum17

Reaction score
So does anyone know if its possible to adjust the older vehicles down to the 15 minute mark?

Members online

No members online now.