Weird Electrical Glitches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emti309

Reaction score
So, a few months ago I was driving home in the dark. As I was driving it looked to me like the driver's side low-beam headlight was not working. When I got home instead of backing into my driveway I pulled up to the garage and looked at the beams. They were both on so I figured It just looked weird while driving. The last weekend of November I was driving around running errands when I found out my passenger-side rear turn signal was not working. I stopped to get bulbs to replace it only to find out I had full factory OEM LED. So I ordered a new rear taillight assembly. When it arrived I installed it and it was working again. The next day I went to leave the house and I quickly discovered that the turn signal was not working again. So now I do a full light check and discover that the driver's side low-beam, passenger side DRL, and the passenger rear turn signal are not working. I have a new set of headlight assemblies that I have purchased. While doing some research I checked the battery and alternator output and as far as I know, they are fine. When I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes as suggested by a search. All the lights returned to working status. I started and stopped the car a few times and checked everything and all was working. So, I was satisfied that it was fixed. Until the next morning when everything is back to the status quo. There was one day when I did get to work when parking in the garage my headlight did just start working again as well as the turn signal. But, when I went to leave that evening I was back to not working. I have noticed a few times while driving home that the headlight appears to come back on for a minute or two. I don't have the money to take it to have an electrical gremlin run down. I was hoping someone here might have a suggestion on where to start.

2018 Equinox Premium 1.5T ~72,000 miles

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
These intermittent electrical issues are hard to diagnose. I would check the chassis ground.
Do you have the panoramic sun roof? Mine leaks like a sieve. The water runs over the rear fuse box when it does. I wrapped mine closed. The dealer "fixed" it and leaked the very next rain.

emti309

Reaction score
I do have the Panoramic sunroof. I don’t use it much and have not noticed any leaks. I can check the ground if I know the location. I will also check the rear fuse box for water damage.

Big Papi

Reaction score
So checking on Rock Auto for cheap parts looks like you spent a little over $1,800.00 on parts.

emti309

Reaction score
I spent so far about $800. Non-OEM headlights and a taillight. The headlights I haven’t opened yet and if I can verify a fix I will send them back. That’s about $600 there.

ricklack

Reaction score
I would suggest having the battery load tested. It is 5 years old or more if you have not replaced it. Seems average life for batteries these days is 3 or 4 years.

Lots of unusual electrical issues are caused by a bad battery. Random codes, things not working randomly, etc. Checking output voltage is not going to reveal an issue, you need it load tested. Most parts stores can do this for you.

TBH, if I was in your shoes I would just replace the battery if it is the OEM- if it isn't causing problems now, it is likely about to. There is a lot of discussion about this around the net - check Costco if you are a member and near one - they have good quality at a good price. If you have AGM you can save a hundred or so. I looked at Costco online yesterday and found $289.99 CAD. That would be about $215 USD. Probably a bit cheaper in the warehouse.

emti309

Reaction score
I would suggest having the battery load tested. It is 5 years old or more if you have not replaced it. Seems average life for batteries these days is 3 or 4 years.

Lots of unusual electrical issues are caused by a bad battery. Random codes, things not working randomly, etc. Checking output voltage is not going to reveal an issue, you need it load tested. Most parts stores can do this for you.

TBH, if I was in your shoes I would just replace the battery if it is the OEM- if it isn't causing problems now, it is likely about to. There is a lot of discussion about this around the net - check Costco if you are a member and near one - they have good quality at a good price. If you have AGM you can save a hundred or so. I looked at Costco online yesterday and found $289.99 CAD. That would be about $215 USD. Probably a bit cheaper in the warehouse.
I had the battery replaced in December of 2021. Lots of weird issues were happening and it was OEM. I had it replaced at the dealership so it should be under some kind of warranty. I will call them and see what they say about the warranty. I will also check with a different auto parts store than last time. The guy who tested my battery wasn’t exactly sure what he was looking at. Thanks for the reply. I was planning on checking the grounds. However, I have been unable to find anywhere that tells me the locations of the grounds. Very frustrating.

versuspaint

Reaction score
So, a few months ago I was driving home in the dark. As I was driving it looked to me like the driver's side low-beam headlight was not working. When I got home instead of backing into my driveway I pulled up to the garage and looked at the beams. They were both on so I figured It just looked weird while driving. The last weekend of November I was driving around running errands when I found out my passenger-side rear turn signal was not working. I stopped to get bulbs to replace it only to find out I had full factory OEM LED. So I ordered a new rear taillight assembly. When it arrived I installed it and it was working again. The next day I went to leave the house and I quickly discovered that the turn signal was not working again. So now I do a full light check and discover that the driver's side low-beam, passenger side DRL, and the passenger rear turn signal are not working. I have a new set of headlight assemblies that I have purchased. While doing some research I checked the battery and alternator output and as far as I know, they are fine. When I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes as suggested by a search. All the lights returned to working status. I started and stopped the car a few times and checked everything and all was working. So, I was satisfied that it was fixed. Until the next morning when everything is back to the status quo. There was one day when I did get to work when parking in the garage my headlight did just start working again as well as the turn signal. But, when I went to leave that evening I was back to not working. I have noticed a few times while driving home that the headlight appears to come back on for a minute or two. I don't have the money to take it to have an electrical gremlin run down. I was hoping someone here might have a suggestion on where to start.

2018 Equinox Premium 1.5T ~72,000 miles
Any update on this? I have a 2019 having the same issues.

emti309

Reaction score
Any update on this? I have a 2019 having the same issues.
Unfortunately no. I’m working on getting funds together to send it into the shop. The problems persist but have not gotten worse.

emti309

Reaction score
Found the issue BCM Fuses blown
I have the verdict from the dealer. There is water damage in the fuse box that’s under the dash. There’s corrosion and it affects the fuse box and the harness that runs to it. As of right now it’s at about $5k for them to fix as the whole dash needs taken out. Luckily my insurance company will be covering this under my comprehensive coverage. If you are blowing fuses there’s a chance that you have something similar.

Members online

No members online now.