First oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

imcgyver

Reaction score
Hello, I have a new ordered 2014 Equinox LT2 4 cyl FWD we are picking up next week, my question I have is I will be using synthetic oil but is synthetic oil or dino oil better for the first change? when should I do the first change?
Thank you for your time and response.
Ron

Reaction score
Just follow what was posted over in GM-Trucks. It is good advice. You have the maintenance plan from GM, follow that and then from there on after just make sure the oil you use meets dexos1. Going full synthetic never hurts but is overkill unless you don't mind spending the money or plan on extending you oil drains.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I think that the dealer will tell you to change the oil when the Oil Life Monitor(OLM) tells you to. Years ago I would say do it wherever you are comfortable, like 3000-5000k.

With my 2010, we've always changed it in accordance to the OLM. I felt better about doing so when I switched to Amsoil Synthetic oils. GM stands by their OLM's for properly timed servicing intervals. If you were still skeptical you can always go about 3000 miles and then send the gathered used oil to be tested. As you get the results you can change the oil again and have it tested. Based on the results of the first test, they will tell you if the oil is still decently clean or not. You can adjust the amount of miles you go before change based on previous results. I would speculate that oil in these cars with 3000 miles will show results of decently like new oil. I would also suggest a sooner first oil change just due to the evidence of wear metals. I would recommend changing it at 3000 miles the first time. But that's just my opinion.

Members online

No members online now.