Fuel in oil, high pressure fuel pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reeeng

Reaction score
My family got a 2015 nox like 4 years ago actually dependable up until now, 55k miles with the 2.4 and it has oil consumption issues, it now has 114k miles. For probably the last 30-40 k miles we haven't really went past 3k miles on the oil change, we realized 6k mile oil changes were not a good idea. All full synthetic dexos oil used. The oil recently started smelling like you could almost light it on fire. It can make it around 800 ish miles before you need to top up the oil, we recently started putting 5w40 in it and it seems to have slowed the oil burning with it. I read and found some people saying it could be the high pressure fuel pump if you have fuel in the oil, that a seal on it can fail and leak fuel into the crankcase. Im wondering if excessive blowby would cause fuel in the oil, because it seems to have a decent amount of blowby. It seems to run, drive and accelerate ok. It's also worth noting that on the last oil change the oil was like water and had some metal in it and in the oil filter housing, there was no big chunks of metal it was just fine gold like shavings. It does have a check engine light but it's just for a small EVAP leak, sometimes misfires briefly on hot restart but no codes for it or anything else. Sometimes seems "angry" on cold start, doesn't idle down for a like 2 minutes if you let it just idle. I'm wondering if the high pressure fuel pump is failing. I digress. Anybody else have anything similar?
Any advice?

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
Hey Reeeng!

I am not familiar with the 2.4, but I am assuming it is like most chevy engines I know. Yes, blow by can cause fuel to mix with your oil. It is not uncommon to find those fine metal shavings. That is often normal wear. What code is your evap leak? P0442?

NOX4ME

Reaction score
Fuel in the oilcan be traced to a clogged PCV. You have two options: remove the intake manifold then clean out the orifice for the PCV then increase diameter to 1/8". Of course you run the risk of repeating this operation periodically. I did come up with a repair that eliminates excess crankcase pressure, removing oil consumption and seal damage due to a pressurized crankcase. I've include a link to my You Tube video.
And due to the piston ring clearance and high pressure direct injection you will always find soot in the crankcase and the presence of fuel.

57chevythunder

Reaction score
FWIT, there have been plenty of seal failures on the High Pressure Pumps used on these Direct Injection engines. And the way it is discovered is excessive fuel in the oil. My gosh, if you can actually smell the gasoline, then I'd say you had better check that pump immediately !! -and hope its not too late to save your engine.

Sure, it is fairly normal to have a very small amount of fuel present in the oil at oil change time, often due to short-trip and cold weather driving. -And the only way that is actually proven is to have it analyzed by a laboratory, such as "Blackstone." But at safe levels, you will certainly not detect any thinning of the motor oil.

Last edited:

reeeng

Reaction score
Fuel in the oilcan be traced to a clogged PCV. You have two options: remove the intake manifold then clean out the orifice for the PCV then increase diameter to 1/8". Of course you run the risk of repeating this operation periodically. I did come up with a repair that eliminates excess crankcase pressure, removing oil consumption and seal damage due to a pressurized crankcase. I've include a link to my You Tube video.
And due to the piston ring clearance and high pressure direct injection you will always find soot in the crankcase and the presence of fuel.

Thank you for the reply I'm a little bit late but that does seem like an interesting repair, I'll have to try it at some point. I was inclined to believe it was the high pressure fuel pump, but I will definitely be trying this first before i load the parts cannon. Thank you for the video too!

reeeng

Reaction score
FWIT, there have been plenty of seal failures on the High Pressure Pumps used on these Direct Injection engines. And the way it is discovered is excessive fuel in the oil. My gosh, if you can actually smell the gasoline, then I'd say you had better check that pump immediately !! -and hope its not too late to save your engine.

Sure, it is fairly normal to have a very small amount of fuel present in the oil at oil change time, often due to short-trip and cold weather driving. -And the only way that is actually proven is to have it analyzed by a laboratory, such as "Blackstone." But at safe levels, you will certainly not detect any thinning of the motor oil.
Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure it's quite that bad but I will get the oil analyzed to find out what's wearing and how much fuel is in it. Btw the oil did have vapor coming off it last oil change, the engine was hot but I've never noticed that before ( I usually change it hot). I'm not sure what to think at this point. I'll be keeping a close eye on it and making an extra vent on the oil cap to the intake manifold( thanks nox4me) before I put a fuel pump in it or.... I might just do both for extra insurance.

reeeng

Reaction score
Hey Reeeng!

I am not familiar with the 2.4, but I am assuming it is like most chevy engines I know. Yes, blow by can cause fuel to mix with your oil. It is not uncommon to find those fine metal shavings. That is often normal wear. What code is your evap leak? P0442?
Thanks for the reply, it was a P0442. I've never found shavings in the oil like that before, I did flush the oil pan with some fresh oil and there was some in my drain pan too! Aaargh Chevy!

Members online

No members online now.