2012 Equinox key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tns58

Reaction score
I just purchased a used 2012 Equinox LS AWD. Great vehicle so far and my wife loves it. However there was only one key/fob with the vehicle and the dealership we purchased from said that was only one with the car when they obtained it. So, I went about getting another key. Contacted local Chevy dealer and was told they have key in stock and key would be $69 and was told that new key must be programmed by the dealer at a cost of about $70. Contacted another nearby dealer and was quoted about the same but they had to order the key. So went with dealer #1. Thought this was a little pricey but had no choice since had to have a spare key. Set up appointment and wife took the car in. Was told it would take about an hour. 2 hours later it was done and when she was presented the bill there were extra charges. Service manager told her the machine they do the laser cut on key was not working today, so they had to send it out to local locksmith shop to be cut, so that was an extra charge. There were some other charges for "materials" or some such. Bill now way over $200. Wife hit the roof and after some discussion, they did, to their credit, cut the bill a little bit, and she had a coupon for $25 off service, but still about $200 just for a new key. I consider this highway robbery both by the dealer and GM, to make a person pay such an outrageous price for a key. Yeah, I now it is supposed to be anti-theft measures but at least make it so I can program it myself and save a little bit of my hard earned cash. Liking the Equinox but not liking having to pay extortion for a key. Come on GM.

LurpyGeek

Reaction score
Sorry, sounds like you got hosed. I just went through the same thing after purchasing a 2013 Equinox LT that only came with one key. I have replaced key fobs for other vehicles and usually found it cheaper to get one online.

I did some calling around and found (to my surprise) that the cheapest place to get the key for the Equinox was from the local Chevrolet dealership. I purchased the switchblade key fob and had it cut for a combined cost of ~$60.

You can program it yourself. All you have to do is take the working key, insert it into the ignition and turn it to the "on" position for about 10 seconds. You don't have to actually start the vehicle, but it doesn't hurt anything if you do. After that time, remove the key pre-existing key, insert the new key and turn it to the "on" position. Leave it there for about 10 seconds again.

What this does is basically tell the vehicle's computer, "look, I'm legitimate and I have a legitimate key. Will you now learn this new key too?"

So in the future, I would ask your dealership if you can purchase the switchblade key fob from them, have them cut it and NOT program it so you can do that part yourself.

Staff online

Members online