2012 doors rusting after 9 months.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1lt

Reaction score
As the title states, paint is bubbling up along the bottom inside seem on all doors. This is not an isolated case, although when I spoke with someone at GM corporate offices, they did some "investigation" and told me this is the first case they have had of this, which is a comlpete lie. So far they have offered my only mediocre at best repair for the defect.
Please see my video and forward it to as many people as possible.
Chevrolet Equinox 2012 Rusting Doors! - YouTube

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I hate to disagree with you but your issue couldn't be anymore isolated of a issue in reality. With 15-23k Equinox's sold each month the possible percent rate if this issue is much less than 1% of all vehicles made.

There might be a post on here with a spot on the lift gate but it was fixed permanently. That was the only known issue in the 3 years that this forum has been open.

Ultimately, the manufacturer has nothing to do with these issues until the retailer/dealers warranty falls off. Your complaint to GM may in fact be the first complaint they've heard. If this was a issue with my 2010, my dealer would fix it permanently.

If you stay on top of your dealer they will fix it or you need to find a better dealership.

Also, having some years in experience in auto body paint, if they re-prep the lower part of your doors and repaint it, it will be a permanent fix. Sometimes when a vehicle is painted if there is water in the air lines it can get into the paint or cause some paint to defect. It simply did not adhere to the metal properly and water was getting under the paint causing it to rust quicker.

TheDarkKnightKnox

Reaction score
Agreed.

Also if i'm not mistaken wouldn't it be covered under the bumper to bumper.

Sheet Metal:

Corrosion coverage is for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Rust-through coverage is for the first 6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I also agree that if your dealer is giving you issues, go to another dealer.

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
I just had my front door hinges replace due to rust .
27,000 miles and 33 months old .
I also had the lift gate painted due to rust when it was 6 months old .
My lift gate struts have been replaced 6 times due to rust .
Surface rust is covered as stated above 3 yrs 36000 miles .

goodw1dl

Reaction score
2012 Equinox Rust

Our Equinox is slightly over 2 years old and we have been very happy with it and have thought about getting another at the end of the year. Unfortunately I found a quarter size rust spot on the rear lift door already. I couldn't believe it. It will be interesting to see what the dealer has to say or how they respond. I'm not sure what our coverage is for this type of thing.

northcreek2624

Reaction score
Another potential rust area..

If you look at the front door hinge area you will see that GM has fabric mat hanging inside the fenders. I removed mine as the were sopping wet with salty water, it wouldn't take long for the tin worms to find a home at the fender bottoms. I noticed no increase in noise or anything else...what was GM thinking?...Mike.

Starfire

Reaction score
I own a 2010 Equinox, a 2010 Terrain, and a 2009 Acadia. None of them have a spot of rust on them anywhere on the body. The Acadia has 95,000 miles on it, the Terrain 47,000, the Equinox 30,000.

TheDarkKnightKnox

Reaction score
I actually took my 2012 Knox to the dealer body shop on friday, because there is bubbling occuring on my inside bottom of the rear driver and passenger side doors where the sheet metal folds over.

The told me that usually in order to be covered under warranty. GM wants the rust to be showing through. I told the fella that sounded like a bad policy to not fix it until its really bad.

He is contacting the regional GM rep for approval to have them fixed. I should hear back by tommorrow or wednesday.

carfan

Reaction score
This is a pretty common problem which GM knows about. Our 2010 had the same thing after a year. We saw our dealer who contacted the factory rep as we were off the bumper to bumper warranty. They fixed at no charge to us. The problem for rusting was the seams were crimped but not welded. The repair is done by opening up the seam, using an epoxy material and then repainting, had ours done about a year ago and no rust has reappeared. On the 2010's the lift gate would also rust which GM also repaired for us. The rear emblem was sharp and eventually cracks the paint, they have a kit out for it with a new emblem and a very thin gasket that goes behind it, the hatch has been repainted and no new signs of rust.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightKnox

Reaction score
Had to officially open a case with Chevrolet Customer Care i've been dealing with the dealership giving me the run around long enough. After contacting the selling dealership 3 hours away, i was told GM HAS to fix it even though i was over my 3/36 by 1500 miles every dealership has the empowerment to place the vehicle back into warranty for 2 year or 24k miles. Needless to say my care rep at GM told me they are contacting the GM Customer Experience reps associated with both dealerships to get more information. In the mean time i provided a detailed communication records from my end showing i've been getting horrible customer service from the local dealership where i live now.

TheDarkKnightKnox

Reaction score
After 4 months of dealing with this issue. The dealership (after getting a major push from GM) has agreed to repair the rust issue and provide me a courtesy loner.

I win! :winner_third_h4h:

carfan

Reaction score
Good to know you are getting it finally fixed. The GM reps. are much improved over the past few years in listening to GM customers. Not sure about your dealer though.

shelbymann

Reaction score
as a long time restorer of classic Mustangs in the rust belt i know rust under paint when I seei it. My 2011 bought in nov 2010 showed bubbles when I was waxing the jambs within the first year on DS front door. Had the dealer note it. By last summer all 4 side doors showed bubbles with the Ds being the worst. My dealership-although noting that its the "first they have seen" reshot all 4 door and their painter did an EXCELLENT job of matching the factory dull paint in there. A year later and it is back....gotta got back and *****. I will be posting a topic on my squeaking electric steering now.

TheDarkKnightKnox

Reaction score
Well i spoke too soon. After only a month. The rust is back i could see it through the pain rubbed it with my finger and the paint starting pealing off to bare metal......Doesn't look like they prepped the surface properly as there was no primer used.

I haven't had a chance but i'm going to call GM and reopen my case number. Updates to follow.

ezstriper

Reaction score
what area's are the ones with issues ? I know here in Va they are using so must liquid calcium cloride for snow the roads are white for weeks after, and this stuff will rust about anything. way overkill in my opinion and killing anything metal..also what has been killing the steel brake line and toyota frames

morbid81

Reaction score
i maybe outta line here as I live in the south but have two northern vehicles from Columbus,Oh. This doesn't sound like a manufacturing defect but just a simple case of living the rust belt where things are gonna rust at a early age and low mileage due to the salt and snow. My Nox was bought here in Texas but my Bonneville and Explorer in Ohio and they are badly rust underneath luckily the bodies are little to no rust at all I am a Columbus native and see what its wonderful winter climate can do to vehicles

Members online

No members online now.