2010 Equinox engine replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joan_Morris

Reaction score
After a year of repeated problems that included replacement of the A/C compressor, a sensor in the computer (p0601 that caused my car to lose acceleration) and a worn-out drive chain, my dealership finally listened to me that my car was using excessive oil. Upon inspection, they found that the cam and exhaust solenoids were full of metal and carbon, screens were completely plugged and full of metal debris with carbon, oil in top of head had excessive metal contamination, cam caps had excessive scarring and the cam was discolored; the mechanic suspected oil starvation due to plugged oil galleys. After removing the engine and tearing it down, they found severe metal and carbon contamination, the block was missing cross hatch in small areas and there was extensive scaring throughout, warranting engine replacement, which was covered by GM. After keeping my car for six weeks, I picked it up, drove two miles and the engine light came on. I needed a new catalytic converter.

The dealership says my earlier problems as well as the cat are not related to the engine issues, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if they might be. If so, I want to be compensated for the $2,400 I've been out in repairs. My car had no serious problems for four years, then suddenly had all of these, so it seems logical to me there is a connection to at least some of them.

I'd also encourage any 2010 Equinox owner that has seen excessive oil use (my oil was always low and sometimes almost empty, even after I started going in for an oil change every 3,000 miles) to have their dealership run a check. They run an oil consumption test and repeat it every 1,000 miles. Mine apparently was using 2 quarts every 1,000 miles, although I was repeatedly told that this sort of oil use was standard for "these types of cars." Before finding the extensive engine damage, I was told to buy a gallon of oil at Walmart, check the oil every two weeks and top it off it was low.

I don't know why they just wouldn't own up to it and save everyone the trouble. I've always bought Chevys, but not sure I can in the future. Thanks!

Svard75

Reaction score
Oil does contaminate a catalytic converters surfaces and reduces its efficiency. I experienced that with a different vehicle and there's plenty of resources on Google to back that up.
It sounds like you already replaced the cats and paid out of pocket. If so your only recourse is to connect with GM customer service and open a case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
This is a tough one when these problems happened with the 2.4 engine at random. There are many vehicles that had these issues, yet there are many more of these vehicles that haven't had a problem.

Members online