15 Months old and Rusting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
I was changing my license plate today and right above both plate screw holes, the paint has started to bubble .
I had just waxed it in October of 2011 and it was not there ( yes I pull the plate and wax behind it ) Wax does no good from the inside out .
.Has anyone else seen this issue ?
I am too pissed to go to the dealer today so I am going tomorrow,when I cool down .
My concern is now, that they have to break the paint and it is Black Granite ,and have to paint the entire lift gate and not match or even orange peel .
So bottom line, check above your plate holes .

Last edited:

prheaume

Reaction score
According to the dealer policy, I don't think you will have a new paint. They will sand a little bit and do a touch up. It happen to my wife's camry. Not enough to claim, but the tech who did the touch up make it worst, so they had to do the entire roof.

it sucks but you will have to fight, do it and it will work. It worked for me.

08PILOT

Reaction score
I know the OBS styles are prone to hatch leaks, need to check mine

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
They should be able to spot it in... I know Hendrick Collision where my brother works does a great job of this. I guess its all up to where you take it!

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
I just got back from the dealer ,they are going to paint the entire lift gate .
I have to wait for an appointment ,they say they need 3 days for prep & paint .
The body shop manager popped one of the bubbles ,there is rust underneath .
He thinks that the metal was not properly cleaned before it went for factory paint .
We will see how it matches .

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I don't think you will have to worry about it matching too much. I could understand the 3 day part. I bet they are going to strip that sucker clean and start over.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
if they know what they are doing it will look like new when they are done.

rbiggers

Reaction score
I haven't seen or heard of this problem before, but I bet it will look perfect when they get done repairing it.

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
After doing some searches ,it appears to be a common problem .
I am still waiting for my appointment .
After the body shop manager popped the bubbles ,you can really see the rust .Unless you are doing something to your license plate most people would not notice it .I am more concerend about orange peel and dust than the match .
A dealer does not have the same type facility as the factory paint shop .

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
After doing some searches ,it appears to be a common problem .
I am still waiting for my appointment .
After the body shop manager popped the bubbles ,you can really see the rust .Unless you are doing something to your license plate most people would not notice it .I am more concerend about orange peel and dust than the match .
A dealer does not have the same type facility as the factory paint shop .

Good point about the dealer not being as equipped for this type of thing. My brother works for a collision center that is a separate entity of the entire auto mall. They have better quality standards then most body shops!

prheaume

Reaction score
At the dealer where I work, we have 2 techs that are doing little body repair as scratch and wash cars but when we have bodywork to do, we have a contract with an external bodyshop near our place. We have priority for the appointments and he received a BMW certification as they now ask that to become an official body shop for us.

Someone from BMW Canada in Toronto came down to Sherbrooke to inspect the bodyshop an approuve it.

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
I stopped by the dealer on Friday ,they are waiting for new emblems for the lift gate .They won't reuse the old ones and I am fine with that .

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
Parts are in ,I have an appointment at 8:00 am Monday (1/30/12 ) to drop it off ,should be ready Wednesday ( 2/1/12)

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
Its Home .

I picked it up today, and it appears to be perfect .It did take 4 days instead of 3 but that was not a problem . They even detailed the entire vehicle right down to tire shine . They offered a loaner but I didn't need it since I am retired .
They did however, tell me that they have done at least a half dozen with the identical problem .
No wax for 60 days .I also did take a plastic license plate frame and put it behind my plate so I don't have any metal to metal .

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I picked it up today, and it appears to be perfect .It did take 4 days instead of 3 but that was not a problem . They even detailed the entire vehicle right down to tire shine . They offered a loaner but I didn't need it since I am retired .
They did however, tell me that they have done at least a half dozen with the identical problem .
No wax for 60 days .I also did take a plastic license plate frame and put it behind my plate so I don't have any metal to metal .

Awesome I bet it feels good to have it back!

Did you by any chance snap some photos to share with us while it is clean?

If not any chance you will get some photos?

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
Unfortunately ,with the snow melting in my area it was filthy by the time I got home .
I wish I would have thought about taking some pics of the rust ,the dealer did for the warranty .Next time I go in I will ask him to forward them to me .
I cant believe all the other posts I have read ( other sites google search ) that some dealers are telling people that the exact same problem I had ,was caused by a stone .
That means that a stone would have to travel either left or right a good 18 inches after it was kicked up by your rear tire , then boomerang back up under the lift gate latch and hit exactly between the chrome and the license plate .
Those are the types of dealer that GM should have shut down .

Members online