Go Back   Chevy Equinox Forum | GMC Terrain Forum | Cadillac SRX Forum > Chevy Equinox General Discussion > 2010+ Equinox Maintenance

2010+ Equinox Maintenance

2010 LT AWD - squeaking noise in rear while driving

This is a discussion on 2010 LT AWD - squeaking noise in rear while driving within the 2010+ Equinox Maintenance forums, part of the Chevy Equinox General Discussion category!
The noise only happens while the vehicle is in motion, and seems to be coming from the rear of the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2016, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vadikus is on a distinguished road
Default 2010 LT AWD - squeaking noise in rear while driving

The noise only happens while the vehicle is in motion, and seems to be coming from the rear of the vehicle near the hatch or spare tire area. Sounds like a loose bolt squeaking or something, like metal on metal high-pitched squeaking. It is more pronounced while braking which I assume is from the vehicle vibrating more while the brakes are engaged.

While driving it is quiet but constant and I have to crank the radio so I don't go insane. The noise stops when the vehicle stops moving. Anyone have experience with this issue?
Vadikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

lachanct is on a distinguished road
Default 2016 Equinox LS Squeaking in the Rear

I have a 2016 Equinox LS that I purchase brand new in May and once the cold weather hit in New England, the same squeaking that you're describing began. I think it has something to do with the spare tire. The area surrounding the spare tire looks and feels like styrofoam. We all know what a styrofoam cooler sounds like. Very similar. I traded in my 2011 Equinox and never head anything like that in the 5 years that I owned it. Never had any reason to check out the spare tire area. Is anyone else experiencing this? It's very annoying.
lachanct is offline   Reply With Quote