2019 Equinox AWD noises when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justjosh

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Equinox 1.5T AWD

Whenever it gets below 15 degrees or so, there’s a whining sound that changes with speed when AWD is NOT engaged. I’ve found it’s the loudest at 35mph.

When I engage AWD, the sound goes away.

Seems like it’s not fully disengaging the rear wheels when it’s cold and I’m in front drive.

Any suggestions? I of course took it to the dealer for this, but by the time my appointment rolled around it was warm enough outside to where the sound disappeared.

Cdsptatc

Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out? My 2019 just began having same issue. It’s also been quite cold out here in Indiana recently.

bspigarelli

Reaction score
Mine has been doing that for sometime as well. I am going to the dealership next week to have them look at it. Can only hear the noise coming from what sounds like the front right of the car without AWD engaged. Goes away almost instantly when hitting the AWD button and engaging it.

2019 Equinox 2.0 Turbo

bspigarelli

Reaction score
Mine has been doing that for sometime as well. I am going to the dealership next week to have them look at it. Can only hear the noise coming from what sounds like the front right of the car without AWD engaged. Goes away almost instantly when hitting the AWD button and engaging it.

2019 Equinox 2.0 Turbo
After 2 dealerships, they found the issue for this! The center bearing for the driveshaft was broken and rubbing on that. Which was making that noise when in FWD. Turning AWD made the noise go away!

Attachments

• 107000181962028.jpeg
    107000181962028.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240206_082854_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240206_082854_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 5

Members online