NOT CV AXLES...When I turn my 2017 equinox makes a clicking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jennlynn9602

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Chevy equinox LT and it started making a clicking noise so I bought brand new CV axles and I replaced them, still made the clicking noise. So I bought two brand new hub assemblies and installed those also and still steady clicking when turning. It's not a loud clicking but it's steady as I'm turning. I have no idea what else would make it make that noise. Does anybody have any ideas?

spaycace

Reaction score
Is the noise only present when turning? Is it the same no matter which direction you turn? Is it more quiet now after replacing the parts you have replaced so far? I actually had a noise at one point and wasn’t able to pinpoint the problem, but I also heard it during normal low speed driving, not just turning. One day out of sheer luck, I caught the culprit… it was a wheel weight on the inside of the wheel that had come partially off, so it would hit at slower speeds, then go away as I drove faster due to centrifugal force pushing it back against the wheel. I just happened to park with the weight at the top and when it came loose again, I heard it and looked at the wheel, and saw it. Maybe you’ll be that lucky too? If not, hopefully it’s not your half shaft(s). Might also want to make sure nothing is hanging anywhere that would rub on the tires when you turn.

jennlynn9602

Reaction score
Mine only does it when turning. And I've only noticed it when I turn right. It's not a very loud clicking noise anyway but the changing of the parts did not make it better or worse It has stayed the same it's just a low consistent click click click click click click click as you're turning. I've had all my tires off searched all under there everything I've had several different people look at it who have worked on cars their whole life and they can't figure it out for nothing.

Flyer58

Reaction score
Swap the wheels between front and rear to check if it's one of the rims clicking.

spaycace

Reaction score
Unfortunately, that’s one of those things where I would have to experience the problem before I could diagnose it accurately. If it only happens, turning one direction, that kind of rules out CV axles. Perhaps you could get a video posted so that people can see and hear what’s going on? Does that model year have the magnetic steering? If so, could possibly something going bad in that.

jennlynn9602

Reaction score
I will I'll try to get it on video, the noise that it makes. My daughter's fiance blew his truck up So as of right now he has my car but when I get it back I will definitely post a video.

rvseverson

Reaction score
Did you get a resolution for the “low consistent click click click click click click click” when turning? I have the 2015 2.4 that just started clicking when I turn right or left when leaving a stop. The clicking is at a higher rate than the one time revolution of the tire/axle. I don’t hear it driving straight from a stop or making a turn without stopping. I’m getting suggestions on changing the CV’s but that didn’t work for your issue. Thoughts?

Flyer58

Reaction score
Did you get a resolution for the “low consistent click click click click click click click” when turning? I have the 2015 2.4 that just started clicking when I turn right or left when leaving a stop. The clicking is at a higher rate than the one time revolution of the tire/axle. I don’t hear it driving straight from a stop or making a turn without stopping. I’m getting suggestions on changing the CV’s but that didn’t work for your issue. Thoughts?
The typical CV joint had several (6) roller bearings inside so it may click 6 times with each revolution of the tire.

1704300754047.png

scchevelle468

Reaction score
My 2014 LTZ is doing that too! It started about a year or so ago and it only does it when I turn right and at low speeds. I was like everybody else and figured it was the CV axle going bad, because of the mileage on this car and them never having been replaced yet. The boots are all intact.
My rims are factory that look like they are chrome, but it looks like a chromed plastic popped over the steel rim and from what I can tell, cannot be separated from the rim.

Members online

No members online now.