2011 equinox P420 won't go away

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgarlock

Reaction score
Hello,

My wife has a 2011 equinox with the 2.4l.

When this code first popped up I found that the exhaust manifold was cracked nearly in half. I replaced it, the gaskets, and the upper O2 sensor while I was there.

Following that it popped back up, I know these are known to burn oil like crazy so I pulled the cat, and of course it was clogged. I just replaced the cat and gaskets, and cleaned the lower O2 sensor which didn't look too bad overall.

However the code has popped back up again.

Now I would just go straight to replacing the lower O2 sensor, however, the OBD2 readouts I am getting do not show anything of concern.

The Catalytic efficiency is the only one that is off, below are the readings for both the secondary sensor and the catalyst monitor bank 1.

Catalyst Monitor Bank 1
TID $A0 - Min- .3498 Value- .3453 Max 3.9998

O2 sensor (I will have to update these, the screenshot I took apparently doesn't show all the readings on this, will update this afternoon with remaining)

TID $8C - Min- 0 Value - 0.0594 Max - 0.1001

TID $91 - Min- 0 Value - 0.4188 Max - 0.4504

TID $92 - Min .3003 Value - 0.3162 Max - 2.0505

TID $93 - Min - 0 Value - 0.43 Max - 8

TID $94 - Min - 0 Value - 0.48 Max - 8

If I remember correctly, the rest of the values were exactly where they should have been.

The last three values concern me, having Values of .31 out of a max of 2, and values of .43/.48 out of 8/8 seem quite low, and I am wondering if those combined could be the reasoning for the catalyst monitor being slightly lower than the minimum value,

However I have no idea what these TID's are...

Any recommendations?

corvairbob

Reaction score
is the engine still using oil? if so a new cat may have just got dirty again. do you test for plates in your area? if not try one of those extenders that you put the 02 into and then the complete unit into the bank 2 spot. we do not test in my ara and i have 3 cars setup like that and i do not get the code for bank2 but bank1 may be showing because of bank2 issues that are not showing yet
there a re a few YT showing how to do that.

swisscheese

Reaction score
If you use the low quality converter, that may be a problem. The cheap ones may still throw the code.

corvairbob

Reaction score
k you can try installing one of the anti fouling spark lug adapters they have tons on ebay i put one on the girls 2013 for that code and it went away. put one on my s10 and it went away. on both cars i punched holes in the cat thru the material and that made the code pop up. here is an ebay line to them also ther have lots of YT showing this issue you can review to see what they did.

here is a YT showing this procedure about half way thru the video 1.34 minutes it talks on how to mod the 02 for this if you have to test for plates this may not work if they check and see it. you would have to ask around to make sure. good luck let us know

jamesf

Reaction score
Try running some dura lube catalytic cleaner through your gas the next few time you fill up. Not that costly and it will clean the whole system. Then go from there on any issues on emissions issues.

Members online