Where are the cameras?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billy_j844

Reaction score
I have a 2022 LT; it has most of the safety features. I'm curious as to where the various cameras are located, and what they are looking at. Can somebody lend their knowledge on this topic. Thanks.

SteveK

Reaction score
I have four cameras. Front grill, each side mirror and license plate

SteveK

Reaction score
Obvious you do not have side cameras and maybe none in front grill either. They are not hidden

billy_j844

Reaction score
Well, something is telling the mirror to turn on the yellow arrow when the blind stop is occupied. That seems to work just fine. Maybe the '22 is different than yours?

SteveK

Reaction score
You have the LT and I have the LZ, a few more baubles. The mirror camera is for lane keeping and also has a 3D view as if from overhead when backing up.
The mirror alert must be separate, a radar?

billy_j844

Reaction score
You have the LT and I have the LZ, a few more baubles. The mirror camera is for lane keeping and also has a 3D view as if from overhead when backing up.
The mirror alert must be separate, a radar?
Mine has lane keeping alert (steering wheel vibe) and blind spot warning. I would have thought that the car uses the same sensors for both, but perhaps not.

SteveK

Reaction score
Mine has lane keeping alert (steering wheel vibe) and blind spot warning. I would have thought that the car uses the same sensors for both, but perhaps not.

Lane keeping uses a camera behind the windshield mirror to see the painted lines.
The side mirror camera I have must be for the simulated overhead backup view.

spaycace

Reaction score
Front camera/rear camera are obviously used for front and rear views. Mirror cameras are used for simulated overhead view, as well as looking towards front wheels or back wheels. I use the wheel view quite often when going through drive-thru lanes to avoid hitting curbs, as well as when backing into a parking spot with a curb on one side or the other.

billy_j844

Reaction score
Do you know what sort of sensors (and their location) are used for the blind spot monitors?

spaycace

Reaction score
I don't know the actual physical sensors used, but I believe they work on a specific RF range. There is some information on how these safety system(s) work, beginning on page 245 of the owner's manual for my 2019 ... but you may want to read the "Driving and Operating" section, or perhaps the entire manual given how expensive and tech-loaded vehicles are these days.

ricklack

Reaction score
Well, something is telling the mirror to turn on the yellow arrow when the blind stop is occupied. That seems to work just fine. Maybe the '22 is different than yours?
There are front and rears sensors that are used for the blind spot detections.

You only have one rear camera for backing up. The HD Surround, if equipped, uses the 4 cameras mentioned earlier in the thread. If you had this feature, when you back up or turn on the camera manually from the Infotainment menu, it would display a simulated overhead view showing what's around the car on all sides. Useful if you live in a high crime area (luckily I don't) and also an excellent help parallel parking. Plus the cameras are super clear and display very brightly at night.

I wish there was a way to record these cameras as this could eliminate the need for dash cams front and rear. Wake up GM! You have a great feature waiting to be offered. Do it!

billy_j844

Reaction score
Thanks to all who posted here. I see the rear bumper "radar" sensors for the blind spot detection.

Members online