What Type Of Oil To Use In A 2007 Equinox LT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VanCamp1700

Reaction score
I've always used Castrol Edge Fully Synthetic Motor Oil In All My Previous Vehicles. I Just Got This 07 Equinox 3 Weeks Ago. So I've Been Looking Around Everywhere To See if Synthetic Oil Is Recomended Or What. Thanks.

thuzmund

Reaction score
FIRST, let me say how disappointed I am with this forum that you have had hundreds of views and nobody responded, even with a guess! This forum looks like the wrong place to go if you need answers. I recently purchased an 06 and will be keeping the car but shopping for a new community of owners. Most car forums will supply a couple answers within 24 hours.

You can find the oil here, it's 5w-30: http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/servicemanuals/chevrolet/2007-equinox.pdf The manual mentions GM standard GM6094M, in case you see that referenced by a potential oil brand. Any oil that hits spec should be considered fair game, in my opinion. I am not a believer that synthetic needs to go in every vehicle. ALL oil produced today is made to a spec that is acceptable to most every driver; there is no such thing as "bad oil" these days.

Also note that the recommended volume of oil for your vehicle has increased by 1/2 quart (probably because it burns oil like mine!) so be advised: Chevrolet Workshop Manuals > Equinox FWD V6-3.4L (2007) > Engine, Cooling and Exhaust > Engine > Engine Lubrication > Engine Oil > Component Information > Technical Service Bulletins > Engine - GM dexos 1 and dexos 2(R) Oil Specifications > Page 3636

Most American manufacturers ask you to put in a proprietary blend of conventional and synthetic. They each have their own brands...Chevy is no different here. I say you would be totally fine putting in conventional, even cheapo oil. For example, you can see here that even Walmart regular 5w-30 meets GM spec: It's finally here- updated GM4718M w/ GM6094M list | Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Gasoline Cars/Pickups/Vans/SUVs | Bob Is The Oil Guy

I would not spring for synthetic if the manufacturer is not asking for that high of a grade, unless you take the car to the track or a place like New York City every weekend. Conventional oil run to 5-6K should do you fine. FWIW, the Chevy 3400 engine is their blue-collar workhorse that has run on countless vehicles for many years. It is not a work of art and does not warrant pampering.

Now, if this were a forum worth its salt, someone would emerge to disagree with all of this!!! Hell that's half the fun. Where are you all?

equilover

Reaction score
That's a very helpful answer Thuzmund. I am also wondering the same thing.

G089372

Reaction score
I will take up your challenge. The 07 6 cylinder 3400 engine has been awesome. I am at 181,000 on the engine and still going. I recommend synthetic and change at 7000 miles. That way, if you do you your own oil changes, you spend less time under the car. Conventional will work well but you need to change more often.
DO NOT MIX or go back and forth.

Members online

No members online now.