What is oil pressure supposed to be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mirageman

Reaction score
2012 equinoxious 2.4. I have another thread on timing chain replacement and was worried that perhaps low oil pressure is to blame for the failure of the chain tensioner. I got an oil pressure tester from Harbor Freight today for $30 but out of the 8+ attachments that came with it, none of them work in the oil pressure sensor port. I found a nut in my garage that loosely but tightly enough fits on the oil pressure sensor, and used that to make threads on the brass fitting from the oil pressure gauge set that most closely fit, and used that to make the set work. It would be great if anyone were to do this to find out what size fitting is necessary at the oil pressure port before doing what I did. I had to remove the intake manifold, as there was NO WAY I was going to do much of anything in the spot they put the sensor. I put everything back together with the gauge in place to test it, and took a picture to show you before putting the sensor back in place so you could see. The gauge is long enough where you could lay it on your windshield easily and watch it as you start it and rev. I got 70psi at idle, with cold start, and close to 90 when revving like 3k rpm. Does anyone have specs on what it should be? I would imagine 70 is higher than normal, but I'm happy it isn't low.

Attachments

• 2012 equinox oil pressure port.jpg
    2012 equinox oil pressure port.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 5

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
2.4l is 50-60psi at 1,000 rpm. Yours seems a bit high, but with the engine cold it might be close. It will drop as the oil heats up.

Members online

No members online now.