Voice Recognition issue (does not work) 2021 Equinox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ratava

Reaction score
Just bought a 2021 equinox after owning a 2016 equinox for 5 yrs and very happy with it. The voice recognition button does not respond like it did in the 2016 .In the 2016 I would be able to change stations on my radio. I would also be able to say a call, for instance " call Fred" and it would respond with " call Fred" and I could answer yes or no. When I push the button on my 2021 i don"t get any response. I cannot change the radio station either. I have had it to the dealer and they cannot get it to work. Is there a phone # for gm that I can call and get this issue resolved. Thanks

auxiliary

Reaction score
Hi Ratava you could go on Twitter and send a DM to them. I have done that before. Basically [email protected] will email you back.
Also check my.chevrolet.com/learnAbout/bluetooth to see if that helps out. Though what pulls me for a loop is you have steering wheel radio controls. You should be able to change the channel. That has nothing to do with the phone or the voice. That is sign something is broken. Button or a fuse.
dealer can’t get it work and it ends like that?

ratava

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I'm not sure how to use Twitter, but I'll look check my.chevrolet.com/learnAbout/bluetooth and see if they have anything to help me out. I'm not finished with the dealer yet. I'm still going to take it back to the dealer and insist they find out what is going on. They should have many more resources to look at then I do and the car is brand new.

JBR

Reaction score
Just bought a 2021 equinox after owning a 2016 equinox for 5 yrs and very happy with it. The voice recognition button does not respond like it did in the 2016 .In the 2016 I would be able to change stations on my radio. I would also be able to say a call, for instance " call Fred" and it would respond with " call Fred" and I could answer yes or no. When I push the button on my 2021 i don"t get any response. I cannot change the radio station either. I have had it to the dealer and they cannot get it to work. Is there a phone # for gm that I can call and get this issue resolved. Thanks

JBR

Reaction score
I too just bought a 2021 Equinox. I have found that the voice recogignition only works if your phone is paired to the vehicle. I have also found that unless Android Auto (or presumably Apple Car Play) is selected most of the voice commands do not work. I have also found that, contrary to the Owner's Manual, the radio voice commands do not work at all. See my post in the "How to" section.

Betty

Reaction score
I bought a 2021 Equinox about a month ago. The radio set up is the dumbest thing ever. I previously owned a 2013 & 2015 and still own a 2014 Equinox. The radios and steering wheel controls in all of them worked great. I was baffled with this new one. I went back to the dealer and was advised that the only way the voice command on the steering wheel works is if my phone is plugged into apple play and Siri is activated. Then when I push the button, Siri will respond to me and make my call.
Even with the phone plugged in there is still a problem with the volume always being too low to hear. As soon as I push the button I need to push the volume button to increase volume or I can’t hear Siri or hear when anyone answers the phone. It’s a ridiculous system.
As far as changing the stations, on the left side of the steering wheel on the backside you can feel 2 toggle like buttons. The top one moves the station forward through your presets and the bottom moves back through your preset stations.
On the right side in the back of the steering wheel are 2 matching buttons that control the volume up and down.
I don’t like that either but it is what it is so I guess I better get used to it.
Hopefully whoever designed the system got a job with another company and the next Chevy models actually get a user friendly infotainment system.
Hope this long explanation is helpful to you.

Betty

Reaction score
I bought a 2021 Equinox about a month ago. The radio set up is the dumbest thing ever. I previously owned a 2013 & 2015 and still own a 2014 Equinox. The radios and steering wheel controls in all of them worked great. I was baffled with this new one. I went back to the dealer and was advised that the only way the voice command on the steering wheel works is if my phone is plugged into apple play and Siri is activated. Then when I push the button, Siri will respond to me and make my call.
Even with the phone plugged in there is still a problem with the volume always being too low to hear. As soon as I push the button I need to push the volume button to increase volume or I can’t hear Siri or hear when anyone answers the phone. It’s a ridiculous system.
As far as changing the stations, on the left side of the steering wheel on the backside you can feel 2 toggle like buttons. The top one moves the station forward through your presets and the bottom moves back through your preset stations.
On the right side in the back of the steering wheel are 2 matching buttons that control the volume up and down.
I don’t like that either but it is what it is so I guess I better get used to it.
Hopefully whoever designed the system got a job with another company and the next Chevy models actually get a user friendly infotainment system.

Reaction score
Yep, I feel your pain. My 2019 "Nox" has issues like when I set the Auto Sync Phones with 3 diff family Cells the thing loses its marbles and I havta keep re boot'n it. I Finally gave up an don't use the Display at all for in or out calls. So much for hands free calls huh.
Also, if me an lil woman carries a Fob, the dam horn starts bark'n. WTF. So far, I have not found away to deactivate it.

Autoworker 74

Reaction score
I have a 2014 and the steering wheel controls worked perfectly every time. The 2018 is not even as close and the dealer told me that it doesn't work like my 14. The book says is does. On my 14 I can call out a song or artist from my mp3 and it will play it, not so on the 18. They had a great, responsive system in the previous generation and walked away from it. So far that system is the only thing on the 2018 that I don't love, the motor is a beast with tons of power but great fuel economy.

Members online