Timing issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arnett56

Reaction score
Good morning, I'm new to this please bear with me. We have a 2011 2.4 that stopped with reduced power. It was diagnosed by a shop with a bad timing chain. We changed both chains out with no obvious problems, but it wouldn't start. We opened it back up and found it out of time on both chains. We retimed and rotated by hand to see we lost a link on each rotation. I have counted links and compared the old chains and crank sprockets (only ones changed) all look good. We retimed a third time with the same results, losing 1 link per rotation. When returning to TDC I'm off 5 links on both chains. Any ideas

dadzilla15

Reaction score
The unique links on the timing chain will not line up with one revolution of the chain.

timr847

Reaction score
The unique links on the timing chain will not line up with one revolution of the chain.
Its not the links that will line up after turning and should turn two( my bro says four but it lined up after two but I still did it two more revolutions total of four to listen to my bro, GM mechanic) full revolutions not one. The marks on the phasers should be in the right position( intake at 2ish and exhaust at 10ish on a clock)not the chain marks😉 Make sure correct chain and phasers. My daughters timing chain guide broke end of May. Spent almost three months figuring it out until I saw the right video.lol Thought oh video looks easy enough. Lmfao! No it wasn't especially when you put in wrong part lol when it's a critical part my lesson learned is replace with OEM!

timr847

Reaction score
Good morning, I'm new to this please bear with me. We have a 2011 2.4 that stopped with reduced power. It was diagnosed by a shop with a bad timing chain. We changed both chains out with no obvious problems, but it wouldn't start. We opened it back up and found it out of time on both chains. We retimed and rotated by hand to see we lost a link on each rotation. I have counted links and compared the old chains and crank sprockets (only ones changed) all look good. We retimed a third time with the same results, losing 1 link per rotation. When returning to TDC I'm off 5 links on both chains. Any ideas
Did you also replace phasers? I did and took me almost three months to realize wrong ones😔 Also #1 cylinder, closest to the chain, has to be top dead center when lining up the timing marks with chain also learned that hard way making me am expert in 2.4 Ecotec timing chain replacement LMAO done it at least 4 or 5 times lol. Make sure when buying critical parts to use OEM 😉

Last edited:

Members online