Rust issue, fabric front door hinge area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carfan

Reaction score
Hi, was reading through posts on rust areas on the newer 2010+ Equinox and noticed a comment from Mike - northcreek. Checked out the fabric material on ours that is in the front fenders just behind the hinges and like Mike stated it was wet, full of mud, leaves and salt. Have washed out for now but would like to remove. I can only see one clip but may be more? Also Mike you mentioned no increase in wind noise etc. but we do some driving on gravel roads to the lake and is dust a problem? Anyone else removed this fabric or checked to see how dirty this area is?

thanks

carfan

Reaction score
Update on felt fabric removal front fenders

Hadn't heard back from anyone on the issue so removed the felt fabric from the passenger front fender area behind the door hinges. Only did one side to see how it worked out. We took the Equinox to the lake on dusty gravel roads and no noticeable difference in road noise etc. Some dust had collected there but not too bad and was easy to wash out when I did a car wash back home. I will be removing the other side shortly.
There are a few rust bubbles on the inside of fender and the firewall side but will treat these now that I see the problem, thanks to northcreek for mentioning the issue on this site. Sure wish I had thought of it earlier as its a 2010 model. I usually spend about an hour twice a year flushing out every area of the frame I can get at but never thought of this area.
Have sent GM an email and hopefully it gets to the design engineering department so future vehicles do not put this felt in the fenders.
If you are keeping your Equinox for awhile suggest you at least do a thorough cleaning of this area.

3fingers

Reaction score
I agree with carfan, you should focus on those area every time your clean your equinox. Once rust starts it very hard to remove or cure it.

GarbageCan

Reaction score
So, as a new owner of a 2011, I noticed bubbles on my passenger side doors. Is this NOT covered under the rust warranty? I am not too happy I discovered this!!
Would splash guards help any?

prheaume

Reaction score
As of many car dealer, the rust warranty is only when there is a hole, bubbles are sadly not covered :(

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
It is a common problem .It should be covered ,if reported during the 1st 12 months /12000 miles ,under the paint warranty .
Another spot is behind your license plate ,metal to metal unless you have a plastic frame in between the plate and the lift gate .
Don't forget to look at your lift gate struts . On my 2011 they were replaced Seven Times for rust within the 3 year /36000 mile warranty .
I now lease a 2014 ,if it rusts and they don't want to fix it ,that's their problem ,I reported it .

GarbageCan

Reaction score
I was just at the dealer where I purchased my 2011 and showed their service advisor the bubbles. He was very surprised and said he has never seen that. He then got his Service Manager, who in turn told me that it should be covered under their warranty. They don't have a body shop, but printed off the warranty information for me to take to a dealer who does. He said it will be their decision.

carfan

Reaction score
Yes, it's a common problem on the early Equinox models. It is not covered on the factory warranty as it has to be a hole . However GM factory reps know of the problem and have fixed many in our area. The doors were crimped not welded at the bottom seams and rust starts usually within a year if you are in an area that uses salt. We had our 2010 fixed about 1 1/2 years ago at no cost and no rust has reappeared. They opened the seams and applied an epoxy material in the seams and repainted. If bad enough some dealers will replace the doors once Ok'd by the GM reps. Also check the tailgate around the emblem, the early models did not have a thin gasket behind it and it eventually it cracks the paint. GM has a new kit out with a new emblem and gasket. Our 2010 lift gate was sanded down, repainted and a new chrome emblem with the gasket at the same time we had the doors done. Done at no cost to us and no rust has reappeared.

Members online

No members online now.