Oil consumption and engine shutting down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scayetanot

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Chevrolet equinox 2010 - 2.2l LT

I notice since few weeks 2 issues:

- excessive oil consumption : I do not see any leak my garage floor is perfectly clean

- engine is shutting down from time to time when stopped. When driving everything is fine but when stopped at a red light for example, the rpm is decrease and when reaching the 500rpm, the car shake due to the low rpm. It's not all the time and when it's happened I can restart the engine right after.

Any idea on how to fix the rpm decrease which cause the shut down (not really a shutdown, engine stop because rpm is too low)

I was thinking it was coming from oil part and I have drain all oil, change the oil filter and put back 5qt of oil 5w30.

There is no gasoline filter right it's only when diesel.

Thanks for your help

Regards
Sebastieb

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Chevrolet equinox 2010 - 2.2l LT

I notice since few weeks 2 issues:

- excessive oil consumption : I do not see any leak my garage floor is perfectly clean

- engine is shutting down from time to time when stopped. When driving everything is fine but when stopped at a red light for example, the rpm is decrease and when reaching the 500rpm, the car shake due to the low rpm. It's not all the time and when it's happened I can restart the engine right after.

Any idea on how to fix the rpm decrease which cause the shut down (not really a shutdown, engine stop because rpm is too low)

I was thinking it was coming from oil part and I have drain all oil, change the oil filter and put back 5qt of oil 5w30.

There is no gasoline filter right it's only when diesel.

Thanks for your help

Regards
Sebastieb

Sure you don't have the 2.4?

Svard75

Reaction score
You most definitely do have a fuel filter. Every vehicle does. I think you should start by having you go to a shop like pep boys or advanced to get any codes pulled. Oil consumption was an issue with the 2.4L which you have. 2010 Equinox only came in a 2.4 ecotech or 3.0 v6. The 2.4 were recalled due to excessive oil burning like 1 quart every 1000 miles and GM rebuilt the engines. Did you have your recall performed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.