HOW TO: Make a Camera Mount for your Vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
This "How to" guide was provided to us by permission from Mblouir(Matt-a member of a truck forum I am on)... Thanks Matt!

I've been wanting to make a camera mount for a while, now. I've also had people asking me for more exhaust videos, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone.

Note: I found this design method online, so I am not taking credit for it at all. Just passing it along...

Materials:
- Piece of material (stock aluminum, steel, wood, whatever) approximately 18" long
- (2) 1/4"x20 U-bolts
- (2) Small plates that usually come with U-bolts
- (4) 1/4"x20 nuts
- (2) 1/4"x20 bolt (length variable)
- Washers (if necessary)
- Some type of camera mount (I am using my tripod mount. Reason this is suggested is to prevent you threading a bolt too far into the camera. Trust me, it's not a pleasant sound when you thread through the body and into the lens. RIP, old point-and-shoot.)
Total Cost: About $10 if purchasing everything new.

Tools:
- Some type of saw (hacksaw, bandsaw, etc) if you need to cut the stock material
- Drill
- Drill bit (I used 9/32")
- Wrench to tighten nuts

Steps:
Pictures should be self-explanatory, but I'll throw these in for good measure.
- Put your material up next to the headrest bars in your vehicle (mounting location). Use a marker to spot where the U-bolts should go. This should be simple enough. Also make a small mark on top of the material where you want the camera/camcorder to be located.
- If necessary, cut the material to desired length. Drill your holes and test-fit the U-bolts to make sure they go through smoothly.
- If everything fits well, take it out to your vehicle and install it. I started out with it in the backseat. Ended up moving it to the front seat since my test runs were at night. Easier to get an idea of what's where while watching.

Camera Mount Assembled:

Built.jpg
Built_1.jpg
Built_2.jpg
Built_3.jpg

Camera Mount Installed:
This is in the back seat---like I mentioned, I moved it to the front seat. Sorry for the poor quality on this one.

Installed.jpg

Video Tests:
Note: These are long videos, but you get a good idea of just how sturdy this thing is. I hit some pretty rough spots in the road and it pretty much just bounced with the truck. No excessive wobbling at all. I'm very impressed with the durability.

Will post daylight videos in the morning. With it being night, the camera chose to expose the video based on the radio, so everything else is underexposed.

Daylight Video 1: To the Dog Park
Got tired of waiting on the second video to upload, so here's the first.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
Seems to work well, might need some rubber grommets or rubber stops to stop the rattle.
I do like music you got going on.

Now I know what you sound like.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
:sad72:OK I should learn to read better.

It is a cool setup.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
I did watch it all the way to the end, but I also had the TV going and was eating and well I was on my second beer by then.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
I drink a few, not as much as I did when I was younger and probably more then I should.
I tend to multi tasking a lot, I do get bored with doing one thing at a time.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
Yeah that’s not good and it's better for you not to drink, so it's good to hear that you stopped.

I have a friend that is like that, once he starts he does not stop and now that he is 48 it's really shows.
He had to just stop drinking altogether because it was killing him.

I drink a few beers now and then and or some wine and most times I only drink when I am eating.
Darn stuff is good but hard on the body.

08PILOT

Reaction score
Cool Mount, but if I build one I gotta buy the Vid Cam too :greenchainsaw:

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
Yeah I seen one the other day, HD, zoom lens and all the bells and whistles
Only $12,000.
It was used, but in really good shape.
And you would have to build a strong mount for it.

:ROFLJest:

Members online