A good vehicle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pierredog

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Equinox with 2.4 ecotec engine. I purchased new from the dealer in March 2013. I have 75,000 miles (120,000km) on it. To date I've had very little trouble with it and is probably one of the best vehicles I ever ownerd. I live in Canada and we have to put up with all sorts of weather and road conditions. Its AWD and I have all weather (not all season) tires on it. It burns very little oil about 1/3 -1/2 litre per 5000Km. I've had some minor rust issues but fixed them DIY My fear is that I'm going have major engine problems in the next few years. I've read the horror stories of engine failure and extreme oil usage. I've talked to my dealer and he said that if I don't have any major engine problems now, then I probably won't have any for a long time. He could have lied and told me to trade it in immediately for a new vehicle. I asked if all similar Equinox had major problems. He said it could depend upon the particular production run. He looked up my in service date and production date which was March 2013 and as far as he knew there were not a lot of unusual problems at that run. Should I keep it or sell now while I can get some good $. All opinons are appreciated. (Was going to look at Mazda CX 5)

ricklack

Reaction score
Tough call - if you've been maintaining it as well as it appears you are, you might luck out. Have you replaced the oil filler cap with the newer vented model? I think it is FC219 and have read it really helps to prevent catastrophic failure if/when the PVC issue arises.

I had a 2013 Nox with the V6 so it wasn't prone to this issue, it had 350,000 km when I traded it in. These cars are solid when maintained properly.

pierredog

Reaction score
Tough call - if you've been maintaining it as well as it appears you are, you might luck out. Have you replaced the oil filler cap with the newer vented model? I think it is FC219 and have read it really helps to prevent catastrophic failure if/when the PVC issue arises.

I had a 2013 Nox with the V6 so it wasn't prone to this issue, it had 350,000 km when I traded it in. These cars are solid when maintained properly.
Thanks for your input. No I haven't changed the oil filler cap yet. I will soon. Thanks for the advice.

Members online