Help, louds noise random when starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Strongheart

Reaction score
Hello, my friend just bought a 2005 Equinox AWD. This just started happening at random. When starting the car he gets a loud sound like as if the car is already turned on and you try to start it again. Well this happens at random when the car is off. Sometimes he will go to start the car and it makes the really loud sound and he has to turn the ignition off and try again and it will start fine. Anyone knows if this is just the starter or the flywheel is the issue? Does anyone know how labor intensive estimate of cost of flywheel replacement? He just bought it a month ago and it has a drive train warranty so maybe it would be covered under warranty? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Svard75

Reaction score
Can you record the noise and post it? Does it make a ticking, grinding, or clunking?
My guess if it's a ticking sound that the starter relay is bad or the starter motor.
If it's a grinding noise could be a stripped gear on the starter motor.
If it's clunking is it the v6 or i4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strongheart

Reaction score
Can you record the noise and post it? Does it make a ticking, grinding, or clunking?
My guess if it's a ticking sound that the starter relay is bad or the starter motor.
If it's a grinding noise could be a stripped gear on the starter motor.
If it's clunking is it the v6 or i4?

It is a V6...There is no clunking or ticking. The sound it makes is the exact same sound you hear when you try to start the car when it is already running.

Svard75

Reaction score
Check the starter relay. Perhaps it's getting stuck.

Strongheart

Reaction score
Check the starter relay. Perhaps it's getting stuck.

Is that relay on the starter itself or located elsewhere? It has been happening more often lately. When He tries to start the car and that sound happens, he has to turn the key off then try to start it again one or two times and then it finally starts.

Svard75

Reaction score
Is that relay on the starter itself or located elsewhere? It has been happening more often lately. When He tries to start the car and that sound happens, he has to turn the key off then try to start it again one or two times and then it finally starts.

The relay is usually in the main fuse box within the engine bay. You may have to purchase a service manual to find it. I use alldatadiy.com.

One thing you just mentioned is "...times and then it finally starts." In an earlier post it sounded like it would start and would still make that sound. Either way check the relay. Or replace it it's cheap. If that doesn't do it then look at the starter itself.

jrcygcm

Reaction score
I had something similar, specially in colder days, in my case the problem was the pulleys. Tensioner and Idle Pulleys. Have you check them?

Members online

No members online now.