Footwell lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miguel

Reaction score
Hello:

Does anybody have a clue on how to wire a set of footwell lights?
I purchased a set and adapted wire to use the fuse box and ground.
I tried today but the lights stay on all the time as only the cigarrete fuse (F37) is on ACC. So even connected to the interior lighting fuse stays on permanently.
The solution would be connecting to the master switch on the overhead button.
Does anybody know where that wire runs close to the fuse box? The point would be not to run a wire all the way up there.

Last edited:

ryan780

Reaction score
I've wanted to wire up a set of footwell lights on my 19 premier I have poured over the wiring diagrams and can't find the right place to tie in to be able to turn on when the overhead lights do. It seems that they are always powered and are controlled on the negative side of the wiring, which makes it a little difficult to detect.

Miguel

Reaction score
I've wanted to wire up a set of footwell lights on my 19 premier I have poured over the wiring diagrams and can't find the right place to tie in to be able to turn on when the overhead lights do. It seems that they are always powered and are controlled on the negative side of the wiring, which makes it a little difficult to detect.
I'll report on this soon, as I'm trying a method that i saw online.

NikeRJC

Reaction score
Hello:

Does anybody have a clue on how to wire a set of footwell lights?
I purchased a set and adapted wire to use the fuse box and ground.
I tried today but the lights stay on all the time as only the cigarrete fuse (F37) is on ACC. So even connected to the interior lighting fuse stays on permanently.
The solution would be connecting to the master switch on the overhead button.
Does anybody know where that wire runs close to the fuse box? The point would be not to run a wire all the way up there.
What trim level do you have? On Premiers, they have the ambient light strip that goes across the dash. If you remove that panel the module that controls that it there. For mine I tapped into that. Footwell lights function like factory and even dim with dimmer.

NikeRJC

Reaction score
Mine are only on at night when lights are on. Just a glow on the front and rear floors. Also added one in the compartment under the radio. Just a soft glow. Similar to the light in the overhead console that shines on the center console.

Attachments

• IMG_3778.jpeg
    IMG_3778.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 15

Miguel

Reaction score
What trim level do you have? On Premiers, they have the ambient light strip that goes across the dash. If you remove that panel the module that controls that it there. For mine I tapped into that. Footwell lights function like factory and even dim with dimmer.
That is really cool! I'm going to search fot that.
And yes, I have a Premier.

Miguel

Reaction score
Mine are only on at night when lights are on. Just a glow on the front and rear floors. Also added one in the compartment under the radio. Just a soft glow. Similar to the light in the overhead console that shines on the center console.
That looks really neat!

NikeRJC

Reaction score
That is really cool! I'm going to search fot that.
And yes, I have a Premier.
Nice. Tapping in there is a great spot. Plus it’s very easy to fish and hide wires in that area. Post pictures when you’re done!

Miguel

Reaction score
Nice. Tapping in there is a great spot. Plus it’s very easy to fish and hide wires in that area. Post pictures when you’re done!
I'm going to assume the obvious... what area is that control module for the ambient lighting?

NikeRJC

Reaction score
I'm going to assume the obvious... what area is that control midule for the ambient lighting?
When you remove the dash trim that runs from the passenger side to the push button start, it is under that above the glove box. Can’t miss it.

Miguel

Reaction score
So the job is done! @NikeRJC thank you for the help! Without your help and I woudn't ever imagined thatvwould be possible!
And to help all others:
When there's ambient lighting connect the footwell lights to that and it will work and even it dims with the rest of the lights.
Some pictures:

20231024_204120.jpg
20231024_204128.jpg
20231024_214648.jpg
20231024_214709.jpg
20231024_214758.jpg20231024_214824.jpg
20231024_214835.jpg

Attachments

• 20231024_214835.jpg
    20231024_214835.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 9

NikeRJC

Reaction score
Nice job! Looks great! Happy I was able to help. On to the next modification! Haha

ricklack

Reaction score
Interesting. I added footwell lights to my 2013 Nox LT but the cutouts for the fixtures were there and the connectors were already wired and taped to nearby wiring harnesses. I just had to buy the lamp fixtures, replace the bulbs with blue LEDs and plug em in. Seems we are going downhill ..... takes a lot more to add these days. Not sure if i will take the plunge or not on my 22.

NikeRJC

Reaction score
Interesting. I added footwell lights to my 2013 Nox LT but the cutouts for the fixtures were there and the connectors were already wired and taped to nearby wiring harnesses. I just had to buy the lamp fixtures, replace the bulbs with blue LEDs and plug em in. Seems we are going downhill ..... takes a lot more to add these days. Not sure if i will take the plunge or not on my 22.
It’s a nice upgrade. Should be there from the factory if you ask me. Pretty easy and inexpensive to do.

Members online