Blind spot warning light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbeardedbuddy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anybody have an idea why a side mirror blind spot warning light would come on for no reason? My passenger side mirror blind spot warning light quite often comes on when there is nothing in my blind spot. Sometimes it's an intermittent flash, sometimes it stays on. There doesn't seem to be any set interval to this, and it doesn't come on all the time. I've ruled out dirty sensors, since I've seen it happen immediately after the car was washed. Any ideas?

Cheers,

bigbeardedbuddy

ricklack

Reaction score
My 2022 has done the same thing at times. I remember when new, on a return trip from Florida, when driving thru DC the driver side light came on and stayed on for a bit. Over the next few days it intermittently did the same thing, I planned to take it to the dealer when I got home. Of course, before I got home it stopped doing it.

Currently I am getting the passenger mirror light on almost every time the car is started, and comes on when slowing for the first few minutes. I had a slight fender bender in July and the rear sensor will be replaced in January. Hopefully that will fix that light issue, as it seems to have started since the accident.

Yeah, the stinkin UAW strike caused the part (tail light assy) to be delayed, the shop just got it this week but can't take the car until Jan to fix it. I am dumb founded why everyone is short staffed since the pandemic - how are these non-working folks paying their bills? Probably we are paying the bills for them :unsure:

ricklack

Reaction score
angle of the sun blinding the sensor?
Not so sure it would affect a sensor, but I do have the Adaptive cruise disengage when the sun is directly in front of me and low in the sky. The front camera is blinded.

shelbymann

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anybody have an idea why a side mirror blind spot warning light would come on for no reason? My passenger side mirror blind spot warning light quite often comes on when there is nothing in my blind spot. Sometimes it's an intermittent flash, sometimes it stays on. There doesn't seem to be any set interval to this, and it doesn't come on all the time. I've ruled out dirty sensors, since I've seen it happen immediately after the car was washed. Any ideas?

Cheers,

bigbeardedbuddy
My 2019 did it pretty much from day 1. What is weird it would be almost the same spots on the freeway when it does it. There is no guard rail to cause it. I chalk it up to possibly being wind because it only happens at high speeds and in certain areas.

tommy trucker

Reaction score
My 2019 did it pretty much from day 1. What is weird it would be almost the same spots on the freeway when it does it. There is no guard rail to cause it. I chalk it up to possibly being wind because it only happens at high speeds and in certain areas.
I have the same issue with the left mirror only and started after having new tires installed , The sensor is behind the plastic bumper on both right and left rear bumper, being different part numbers for each side.

The bolt or plastic fastener is 7mm that holds the sensor on and the left side is reachable , many used ones on Ebay and dealer said very costly for them to change it out.

part # on 2018 equinox left side is 8412 9137 LH. I would crawl under and check the number to make sure , but that could be a fix???????? For now I have been turning head to check.

tommy trucker

Reaction score
left side blind spot alert comes on randomly,
After seeing other fixes on the internet on using butyl aluminum tape , I tried that and it seems to be working for me.
Took 3 inch strips and put on sensor and surrounding mounts and seems to have solved the problem with the random alerts.
Worth a try and easier than buying new sensor.

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
left side blind spot alert comes on randomly,
After seeing other fixes on the internet on using butyl aluminum tape , I tried that and it seems to be working for me.
Took 3 inch strips and put on sensor and surrounding mounts and seems to have solved the problem with the random alerts.
Worth a try and easier than buying new sensor.
Post your research or photos of what you did for others.

ricklack

Reaction score
That also happens in heavy rain.
I've had it turn off in heavy rain - the wipers need to be on fast enough for the camera to see things. Also, if my windshield is fogged up, often i need to turn on the defroster a few minutes before Adaptive cruise will work again.

Members online

No members online now.