Equinox 3.0 V6 rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Masterkevj

Reaction score
Hello all, I've been searching forums since I purchased a 2010 Equinox LTZ with the 3.0 V6 a few weeks ago. It drives great and has okay power, not what I thought I would have with the horsepower rating it advertises, but it gets around.

I come come a long line of GM vehicles and have seen many of their best and a lot of their worst. 2 things I have an issue with:

1. I'm used to GM having pretty silky smooth V6 engines. Had a 99 Grand Am GT and barely felt the 3.4L and even smoother was the 3.8L in my 2005 Grand Prix GT. The V6 in the Equinox almost feels like a 4-cylinder. It has a slight vibration. No big deal, just unexpected.

2. This is my MAJOR issue. I have 94k miles and the engine has an ANNOYING rattle/ticking once it warms up. From my experience and knowledge of cars I would off the bat say timing chain. Well the repair shop tore down the engine (supposedly...they spent 4 days "tearing it down" and only a few hours putting it back together) and said the timing chain was fine. It sounds fine when it's cold, but after a nice drive it almost sounds like a diesel at idle. It's embarrassing pulling up in a drive thru or parking next to another car as that rattle bounces off everything making it sound even louder! Inside the truck you don't hear anything so imagine my surprise the first time I got out of the vehicle while it was running. I was like "is that my car making that noise???!!!"

I find tons of info on the 4 banger but very little on the V6. Does anyone have any info pertaining to the 3.0 V6, NOT the 4-cylinder. I have an extended warranty but the repair shop they use said no problem found of course...any info would be greatly appreciated. I did hear mention of the loud fuel pumps but that can't be it.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
It's the variable time tuning with the timing of the engine. They all do it. I think that the 3.0 is pretty peppy for what it is, I mean I don't think anything it it's class has 262 hp but then again they later equipped these cars with the 3.6 with around 300 hp. I would like to get my hand on one of those... IT's the same engine that they put in the Traverse.

Masterkevj

Reaction score
Thank you for replying! Trying not to be a pest, just nervous because I've never bought a car with high miles but it was in such immaculate condition and it's hard to find a good looking LTZ with the V6 around here.

I hear the "fluttering" ticking noise from the front middle of the engine and that sounds normal compared to the only other LTZ we found here (that one had the HORRIBLE AWD steering grind so we passed on it) and I figured that's the VVT and/or direct injection and I can deal with that.

What I hear is from the passenger side of the engine. I'm a little at ease because I notice when I press the gas the rattle doesn't seem to speed up or slow down and if it was the timing chain it would, right? Basing this off a 1994 Cavalier we had that was notorious for timing chain issues, we went through 2, both covered by the dealer thank God!

And I guess the power is okay, I think what I'm experiencing is its eagerness to shift into higher gears so quickly. Makes is seem sluggish. I guess that's just a modern 6-speed programmed for fuel economy.

Masterkevj

Reaction score
Oh yeah, the 3.6 would be nice. We tried that in an SRX and Enclave, they just wanted more than what we wanted to spend at the moment.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Yeah. it's nothing to worry about. I took mine into the dealership for it twice and they said each time that it was perfectly normal. Some dealerships will go as far to check the timing chain/water pump but that's not what the sound is coming from.

Masterkevj

Reaction score
Me again..LOL

So now it's starting to get chilly outside and went to turn on the heated seats and nada on either side. Also noticed the memory seat doesn't work either. Not to concerned about the memory seats but really want the heated seats to work. No light or anything. Press button for either side and nothing. Fuse looks good. Any thoughts?

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
My first bet would have been with the fuse.

Another thing that comes to mind is there was a recall on the climate control unit where all the buttons are for the power seats. I would call the dealer to see if this might be a issue or if there is a recall for your vehicle.

I don't know how that unit would be linked to the memory seats but it could be since the seat warmers are on the center console. I can remember if this was just a software recall/reflash or a unit replacement. However, I remember that in the recall it was said that some of the functions on the climate control center could stop working.

Masterkevj

Reaction score
***Update*** $2100 later, all three timing chains replaced and the ticking is gone. Just the light tapping of the direct injection. Engine light had finally come on, would barely accelerate sometimes and codes for stretched timing chains.

Members online

No members online now.