Equinox 2018, all dashboard light going off, lights flickering, screen going black,slow to start, won't shut off right away,Service everything, help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

equi2018

Reaction score
Equinox 2018, all dashboard lights going off, lights flickering, screen going black,slow to start, won't shut off right away....dashboard screen goes black while driving.
It says:
Service safety restraint system
Service the monitor system
Service theft detterrent system, Park assist off.

This happened after a cold night..

corvairbob

Reaction score
sounds like a battery that is not quite up to proper voltage when it is getting cold they tend to do that, did the car start about the same or a bit slow to crank? if it was slow to crank and then all this started then the battery is low on voltage and that bogged the ecu down and set tons of codes and issues. if the battery warms up and those issues go away for that time frame i would get another battery. or at least stop into a advance auto or some auto parts store and ask if they can run a battery test. i hear of this issue on the chevy bolt site with everything seems to go wako and they have to take the battery termainal off for like 10 minutes to reset the ecu. so maybe you might have to do that also. good luck

NOX4ME

Reaction score
Have you checked your battery condition or alternator?

onslow

Reaction score
Sounds like a bad ground. There TSBs out for ground problems on the newer Equinoxes so it can happen.

pktwatch

Reaction score
Equinox 2018, all dashboard lights going off, lights flickering, screen going black,slow to start, won't shut off right away....dashboard screen goes black while driving.
It says:

A bad ignition switch will act this way.....

spaycace

Reaction score
A bad ignition switch will act this way.....
But GM has never had any issues with ignition switches ... LOL!:ROFLMAO:

I'd put my money on the battery. I was sitting in my 2019 Premier that has a new battery (installed in Dec, 2022) while not running. I got the message on my DIC that said battery low, start vehicle. Pretty sad when a brand new battery won't power things in the vehicle for 15-20 minutes without it causing a low voltage condition. Anyway, along with that notification came about 5 or 6 other warnings on my "My Chevrolet" app due to the low voltage condition. They cleared themselves after 2 or 3 ignition cycles. Modern electronics in vehicles do some funky stuff when voltage gets too low.

Last edited:

19Equinox

Reaction score
It says:

Did you ever get it fixed have the same problem thanks

onslow

Reaction score
Google Bulletin No.: 18-NA-247. Also see where they had problem with not using shouldered nut on grounding stud where it was required.

19Equinox

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response I’ll look it up and post back on here!

19Equinox

Reaction score
Google Bulletin No.: 18-NA-247. Also see where they had problem with not using shouldered nut on grounding stud where it was required.
By chance would you happen to have a diagram or location of G104, G107 and/or G108 Ground Contact Points thanks

19Equinox

Reaction score
So my equinox had a smaller battery went to get the right size and cleaned all the grounds and has been good ever since my assumption was that when the auto stop kicked in the battery would go low because it didn’t have the capacity to keep everything going at the same time and would case the bcm to get low voltage and it would go crazy and shut down causing the theft deterrent system to malfunction and not let it start back up until everything rebooted

corvairbob

Reaction score
that could be it or it is possible the battery was bad! that happens did they do a load test on the battery by any chance? that would have told you if the battery was bad. just being a smaller battery will not matter. you can use a scooter battery to get all the power and lights but not he starter that would take more cca. anyway it sounds like you have that figured out. great.

19Equinox

Reaction score
that could be it or it is possible the battery was bad! that happens did they do a load test on the battery by any chance? that would have told you if the battery was bad. just being a smaller battery will not matter. you can use a scooter battery to get all the power and lights but not he starter that would take more cca. anyway it sounds like you have that figured out. great.
I did a load test several times to see if it was maybe intermittent but the battery was good it was a battery that was half the size I thought the same thing once the battery checked out good in my head I was like can’t be the battery the battery is good but either the battery replacement or the cleaning of the grounds did it but I did keep in mind that when the equinox auto stops the battery is not being charged but it’s good now I had it sitting for about a year lol

corvairbob

Reaction score
great gald you got it going. so your car has an auto stop at the stops lights and stop signs? i guess i did not see that in the post. that may run a smaller battery down and the alt just can't keep it charged up enough to keep the systems running. and yes when the engine is off at those stops, and the head lights and heater etc are still running, yes a smaller battery is really being put to work and as your battery was and just could not keep up.

19Equinox

Reaction score
great gald you got it going. so your car has an auto stop at the stops lights and stop signs? i guess i did not see that in the post. that may run a smaller battery down and the alt just can't keep it charged up enough to keep the systems running. and yes when the engine is off at those stops, and the head lights and heater etc are still running, yes a smaller battery is really being put to work and as your battery was and just could not keep up.
Yes auto stop at lights to reduce fuel consumption glad I got it going as well

Members online

No members online now.