DISREGARD - I ordered an new one. How long do batteries last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackT

Reaction score
History: I just purchased a 2020 Equinox.
- The vehicle has an in-service date of 1/6/2020, August is usually when model change-over starts, so we're saying the battery is over 4 years.
- When we went for a test drive, the vehicle had to be jumped. It has run fine since.
- I did to a battery draw test. Spec I see, if accurate, is 25ma or less, but it shows 79ma. I will start popping fuses to check it out.
- Assuming I fix that if it can be fixed and not something wrong with the spec, I still will be spending a lot of time away and don't need trouble back home. I don't want to throw out a good battery either. What has been the experience of others with their 2018 and newer regarding battery life?
- If it is an original battery, is there any method to determine its date so I can determine if it has ever been replaced?

Last edited:

NOX4ME

Reaction score
on average a vehicle battery lasts between 3 - 5 years. Longer if you're lucky!

JackT

Reaction score
on average a vehicle battery lasts between 3 - 5 years. Longer if you're lucky!
It probably was a good move then. I sold the old one for $40 on Craigslist. I just now checked the label on the B pillar and was surprised to learn that it was made in Mexico in July of 2019. That makes the vehicle 4 years and 5 months old, so the battery has to be older, but probably not much since automakers force JIT, and there is no reason for manufacturers to sit on OEM batteries, so it had to have been ~4 1/2. There was no date code on the sticker on the top of the battery but it had to be the original because it didn't have any stickers or stamps anywhere else on the battery and the sticker on the top is not like any ACDelco sells.

emti309

Reaction score
The auto-stop feature seems to be incredibly hard on the batteries. I had mine replaced in December of 21' for a 2018 model.

Colin Lister

Reaction score
They build a much more robust battery and starter motor to accommodate the special feature.
My car is 2018 so I'm hoping the original battery keeps on keeping on. 😐
When I'm not wanting the auto off to activate (for say, crowded city driving) I simply put the aircon on Max-defrost then turn the fan speed down to where I feel comfortable with. It seems to keep working for the whole day, even if I park or stop the car and come back.

Last edited:

ravenblack67

Reaction score
History: I just purchased a 2020 Equinox.
- The vehicle has an in-service date of 1/6/2020, August is usually when model change-over starts, so we're saying the battery is over 4 years.
- When we went for a test drive, the vehicle had to be jumped. It has run fine since.
- I did to a battery draw test. Spec I see, if accurate, is 25ma or less, but it shows 79ma. I will start popping fuses to check it out.
- Assuming I fix that if it can be fixed and not something wrong with the spec, I still will be spending a lot of time away and don't need trouble back home. I don't want to throw out a good battery either. What has been the experience of others with their 2018 and newer regarding battery life?
- If it is an original battery, is there any method to determine its date so I can determine if it has ever been replaced?
I have a 2020 that went in service July 2019. The battery died summer 2022.

Members online

No members online now.