Cooling Fans Stays On After Engine Is Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcchevy

Reaction score
New Issue. Cooling fans stay on after the engine is off, the fan turns off in about 2-4 minutes.
-No Trouble Codes
-The coolant reservoir level is much higher than usual, almost to the top.
-The engine coolant gauge is working since it rises slowly and reaches mid-level (normal temperature) once the engine is warm.

cavell

Reaction score
Has fans always run this way?
I got a cheap code reader and it shows coolant temp. I noticed temp did rise to 200-215 range and needle did not move on dash. I think dash gauge is set to be more stable to not worry owner. So, your motor may be hotter than you think. High coolant leven in tank is not good

rcchevy

Reaction score
Problem solved. Replaced the thermostat and the problem is gone.
Put the old thermostat in 195-degree water and it opened slightly, I don't think it's enough to cool the engine properly.
I just don't understand why the engine coolant temperature gauge wasn't reading higher. Thank you for your reply.

SteveK

Reaction score
you replaced the coolant thermostat and that stopped the electric rad fans? did you install a lower temp thermo?

Severum17

Reaction score
Engine was probably running hot. Im pretty sure the fans stay on til the engine reaches a certain temp

95-007

Reaction score
Has fans always run this way?
I got a cheap code reader and it shows coolant temp. I noticed temp did rise to 200-215 range and needle did not move on dash. I think dash gauge is set to be more stable to not worry owner. So, your motor may be hotter than you think. High coolant leven in tank is not good
Already read your post about the new thermostat; and with very hot days (110+) where the engine has just idled for a while before shutdown, it is common for engine health to have the fans run for up to 2 minutes.

rcchevy

Reaction score
Well, the problem has returned: With the engine off both radiator fans still run for about 2 minutes. One time it ran super high speed, noisily.
The coolant level changes on its own.
The engine coolant temp sensor reads a little below 3 o'clock (mid-level)
Have done the following:
1- Thoroughly bled for air in the cooling system several times, the last time for 1/2 hr. continuously. Made sure that the thermostat was open by reading themps of the in and out hoses we both hot.
2-Replaced thermostat for the second time and ECT ( engine coolant temp sensor) once. These two items are of known good quality and OEM style.
3-There are no coolant leaks.
I assume the ECT controls these fans but obviously, there is something else controlling them. Does anybody know what it is?
Help!
Temperatures presently in Miami, Fl not hot and cooling down.

Last edited:

rcchevy

Reaction score
I have resolved this problem by purging the air purge valve, continuously, for 26 minutes with the engine running at operating temperature. I have previously purged the air for a shorter time but obviously, that didn't work.
The service manual explains that this coolant reservoir system purges the air from the cooling system but...
Have flushed coolant previously without experiencing this problem

Attachments

• Air Purge Valve.jpg
    Air Purge Valve.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 4

Members online

No members online now.