Post 2016 LT thermostat replacement issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexSolo

Reaction score
Hi all, I just had the thermostat replaced on my 2016 Equinox. I drove it around a bit to see how it was going and eventually the engine temp gauge started rising, which is a good sign, as before it was flatlined at zero and the engine lite came on. The tester at Autozone said thermostat needed replacing with whatever the error code was, so I had it replaced. After driving for about 20 minutes a made a phone call, and turned on the AC as I had rolled the windows up. After a bit I noticed the engine temp gauge went back to zero, finished the call and went home and the loud buzzing sound of the fan after turning the car off had returned. Felt like I was back to zero. Wasn't able to drive for a few days and when I came back, things seemed normal. The gauge went up as you would expect as the engine warmed up. Didn't turn the AC on, drove for about 45 running errands and everything seemed fine. The next day, while driving, I again turned the AC on as I rolled the windows up to make a call and the engine gauge dropped back to zero and when turned the car off, the fan was back. I've been driving to work and back for about a week and have had no issues, so it seems this only happens when I turn the AC on(which I haven't since the second time). Is there some sort of connection between the AC and the engine temp gauge? Any ideas on what might be going on? I took it to autozone and the tester said there was an issue with the gauge but had no remedy to fix it, no error codes or anything. Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

TS

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
I wonder if he read the code incorrectly and you needed a thermostat switch for the electric fan? It controls the electric fan. When your AC is on, it will also run the fan.

TexSolo

Reaction score
I wonder if he read the code incorrectly and you needed a thermostat switch for the electric fan? It controls the electric fan. When your AC is on, it will also run the fan.
I had actually taken it to AZ and used their tester and it came back with the error code and saying the thermostat was bad and needed replacing. It didn't say anything about a switch. I guess my question now is, are those AZ tester things unreliable?

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
I doubt it would throw the wrong code, but it might have steered you in the wrong direction.
I found this article on your issue.

Members online

No members online now.