Chevy Dealers are incompetent thieves

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdhow

Reaction score
Let me give you my short experience of owning a 2010 Equinox LTZ...

First, my car was purchased at a dismantler as a "totaled" vehicle. When I looked at the CARFAX, it showed a one-owner car with no accidents. This was factual. The car was sold to the wrecker because the dealer estimated over $9,000 in repairs. They tried to give her $3,500 "trade-in" on an overly inflated 2024 model, so they could fix and flip her car out on their used lot...for like $9-10k. she told them she didn't want another GM product and had the dismantler haul it off for $800.

That's where I came in. I saw the car and they told me it was a "crank but no start" vehicle. The infamous 3.0L, VVT GDI V6. I ran the codes and they came back P0340 and P0365, which are cam position sensor DTCs. Not knowing any better and thinking it was just some bad sensors, I bought the car for $1,500, changed the sensors in their yard and drove the car home a couple of miles...although it had no power and kept going into limp mode. But now that the dismantler had "touched" it, it has a salvaged title.

I continued to change things out...the cam solenoids, the spark plugs, the coils, cleaned the throttle body and all the intake sensors, the PCV, etc. Now, amongst a bunch of pending codes, I got the dreaded P0018 and P0019 codes for out of sync cam and crankshaft. Yep...timing chains. So, I know this machinist who also does performance engine builds...particularly Hemis and Coyotes...and since Ford invented the VVTs, I knew he was very capable of doing timing chains and phasers. And he agreed to do it.

He agrees it's likely timing chain issues, but due to what this failure can cause, recommends checking for blocked/burned out catalysts and doing a leakdown test to check for bent valves. Sure enough, one of the Bank 1 cylinders appears to have bent valves, but the both catalytic converters appear fine. False P0420 DTC codes...soon to find out why. Out comes the engine. First thing he notices is the Bank 2 timing chain has come off the sprocket...but all of the Bank 2 cylinders pass leakdown. Rear cylinder head is removed and NONE of the valves are bent...dumb luck! Valves must have all been closed when the chain came off the sprocket. The one cylinder (#3) on Bank 1 that failed leakdown also had no bent valves...it was just soooo carboned up, the intake valve seats had rings around then and would not seal properly. Said I needed a valve job in addition to the timing chains, sprockets, etc., I had knew needed replacing...$4,000 total. Only about $700 (parts and labor) more than the $3,300 I had budgeted.

Done. Still only into the car for $5,500 and it basically has a new motor.

Back to the "stealership". I had found the original owner's iPhone number stored in the car's bluetooth directory and reached out to her. Got the skinny on why she scrapped the car...the dealer's excessive repair estimate. I knew the dealer; it was one of the repair shops listed on the CARFAX. So I go see the service tech under the premise that I might be interested in having them perform the repairs they said were required.

First thing he brings up is the P0420 code for catalytic converter inefficiency. They had told her she needed all new catalysts (3) and 4 new oxygen sensors. As this is California...and cats can only be replaced with CARB-certified, OEM units, so this was over $5,000. I stopped him right there and asked what if the the timing chains were F'ed up and dumping raw fuel in to the oxygen sensors? Couldn't THIS cause an errant DTC...be a symptom for the DTC and not the cause? This little keyboard puncher proceeded to tell me I didn't know anything about current technology engines and their mechanics were factory trained and knew better. I said I knew enough to know when someone was trying to sodomize me and he could kiss my a$$ 🐴. I wasn't going to be the guy they started throwing expensive parts and labor at, just to say, "Whoops...that wasn't it...Next!!!"

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
That's all they are, parts replacers. There is very little trouble shooting at a dealership.
On a side note, my son's jeep was throwing the P0420. I used Cataclean and no more code. $28 vs new cats.

sdhow

Reaction score
Right...parts replacers. At YOUR expense. $5,000+, then...oops...that wasn't it.

On my Equinox, after all of the timing components and the rebuilt heads...then it threw a P0304 code. Misfire on cylinder #4, the valves that wouldn't seat due to carbon build up. My machinist said the direct injector was most likely bad, but throw a can of SeaFoam in the half tank of gas and drive it.

I reset the ECM the other day and it purrs like a 🐱 and no code has come back...

PaulD

Reaction score
What do you think the Seafoam would do in a direct injection system?

sdhow

Reaction score
That's what I used it in. A 2010 3.0L V6 VVT GDI engine.

PaulD

Reaction score
Yea, but if the fuel's not hitting the valve, how will the Seafoam do anything?

TDW1954

Reaction score
Yea, but if the fuel's not hitting the valve, how will the Seafoam do anything?
It won't unless you spray it into the intake manifold with the engine running the let it heat soak a while. See Project Farm on Youtubes video titled I can't believe what Seafoam did to my truck' or something like that.

PaulD

Reaction score
Got it. The part about adding it to a half tank of gas and driving it confused me.

sdhow

Reaction score
READ MY POST!!!

The SeaFoam was used to clean the injector. The heads were taken off and valves were manually cleaned. If you have carbon build up on the valve seats, you can try introducing chemicals (including SeaFoam) to the intake vacuum while running the engine...but...depending on the severity of the build up, the only way to get them clean MAY be to do a valve job.

The only way to know for sure is to do a compression test. And if you're going to pull the heads, do the timing chains while the engine is out the bottom.

sdhow

Reaction score
Oh...and the half tank of gas was to concentrate the SeaFoam. I drove it about 50 miles at 65+ mph and let it sit overnight (heat soak). Started it in the morning...and...no more misfire.

Severum17

Reaction score
Let me give you my short experience of owning a 2010 Equinox LTZ...

First, my car was purchased at a dismantler as a "totaled" vehicle. When I looked at the CARFAX, it showed a one-owner car with no accidents. This was factual. The car was sold to the wrecker because the dealer estimated over $9,000 in repairs. They tried to give her $3,500 "trade-in" on an overly inflated 2024 model, so they could fix and flip her car out on their used lot...for like $9-10k. she told them she didn't want another GM product and had the dismantler haul it off for $800.

That's where I came in. I saw the car and they told me it was a "crank but no start" vehicle. The infamous 3.0L, VVT GDI V6. I ran the codes and they came back P0340 and P0365, which are cam position sensor DTCs. Not knowing any better and thinking it was just some bad sensors, I bought the car for $1,500, changed the sensors in their yard and drove the car home a couple of miles...although it had no power and kept going into limp mode. But now that the dismantler had "touched" it, it has a salvaged title.

I continued to change things out...the cam solenoids, the spark plugs, the coils, cleaned the throttle body and all the intake sensors, the PCV, etc. Now, amongst a bunch of pending codes, I got the dreaded P0018 and P0019 codes for out of sync cam and crankshaft. Yep...timing chains. So, I know this machinist who also does performance engine builds...particularly Hemis and Coyotes...and since Ford invented the VVTs, I knew he was very capable of doing timing chains and phasers. And he agreed to do it.

He agrees it's likely timing chain issues, but due to what this failure can cause, recommends checking for blocked/burned out catalysts and doing a leakdown test to check for bent valves. Sure enough, one of the Bank 1 cylinders appears to have bent valves, but the both catalytic converters appear fine. False P0420 DTC codes...soon to find out why. Out comes the engine. First thing he notices is the Bank 2 timing chain has come off the sprocket...but all of the Bank 2 cylinders pass leakdown. Rear cylinder head is removed and NONE of the valves are bent...dumb luck! Valves must have all been closed when the chain came off the sprocket. The one cylinder (#3) on Bank 1 that failed leakdown also had no bent valves...it was just soooo carboned up, the intake valve seats had rings around then and would not seal properly. Said I needed a valve job in addition to the timing chains, sprockets, etc., I had knew needed replacing...$4,000 total. Only about $700 (parts and labor) more than the $3,300 I had budgeted.

Done. Still only into the car for $5,500 and it basically has a new motor.

Back to the "stealership". I had found the original owner's iPhone number stored in the car's bluetooth directory and reached out to her. Got the skinny on why she scrapped the car...the dealer's excessive repair estimate. I knew the dealer; it was one of the repair shops listed on the CARFAX. So I go see the service tech under the premise that I might be interested in having them perform the repairs they said were required.

First thing he brings up is the P0420 code for catalytic converter inefficiency. They had told her she needed all new catalysts (3) and 4 new oxygen sensors. As this is California...and cats can only be replaced with CARB-certified, OEM units, so this was over $5,000. I stopped him right there and asked what if the the timing chains were F'ed up and dumping raw fuel in to the oxygen sensors? Couldn't THIS cause an errant DTC...be a symptom for the DTC and not the cause? This little keyboard puncher proceeded to tell me I didn't know anything about current technology engines and their mechanics were factory trained and knew better. I said I knew enough to know when someone was trying to sodomize me and he could kiss my a$$ 🐴. I wasn't going to be the guy they started throwing expensive parts and labor at, just to say, "Whoops...that wasn't it...Next!!!"
Not all dealerships are "stealerships" I worked 45 years for one of the most honest GM dealers there is. Yes, there are bad ones, and not good techs. You bought a known salvage car. Big mistake. Thats on you.

sdhow

Reaction score
Not all dealerships are "stealerships" I worked 45 years for one of the most honest GM dealers there is. Yes, there are bad ones, and not good techs. You bought a known salvage car. Big mistake. Thats on you.
It was a "known salvage car" due to a misdiagnosis by a certified Chevrolet dealer. It was a faulty timing chain, but nowhere near the $9,000+ in repairs they quoted her.

I'm not complaining...I got a one owner car for $1,500...that never should have been totaled. The stealership was trying to profit by selling her a new, overinflated car AND repair her car and flip it on their lot. That's how they turn a 25% margin on every deal...and why the average purchase is nearly $50k. She had enough and told them to shove their GM crap and sold it to the dismantler to tow it off.

My point is...the dealer you worked for is the exception today. More dealers are about the profit margin and less about customer relations. I think the last few years and the "fair market value" adjustments prove my view.

Last edited:

Severum17

Reaction score
It was a "known salvage car" due to a misdiagnosis by a certified Chevrolet dealer. It was a faulty timing chain, but nowhere near the $9,000+ in repairs they quoted her.

I'm not complaining...I got a one owner car for $1,500...that never should have been totaled. The stealership was trying to profit by selling her a new, overinflated car AND repair her car and flip it on their lot. That's how they turn a 25% margin on every deal...and why the average purchase is nearly $50k. She had enough and told them to shove their GM crap and sold it to the dismantler to tow it off.

My point is...the dealer you worked for is the exception today. More dealers are about the profit margin and less about customer relations. I think the last few years and the "fair market value" adjustments prove my view.
We may be the exception, however there are too many know it alls that can barely find the gas tank, and come in telling the pros what to fix. Huge problem. Im not saying there are not bad dealers, there are bad businesses everywhere. Its up to the customer to find the right place to go. Its not ALL dealers. I take a personal insult to the "stealership" reference.

sdhow

Reaction score
You can take it as you like. I've run into too many ruthless dealers the last few years.

Car salesmen have a terrible reputation. Who owns the dealerships? Previous car salesmen. They are the ones that run the entire dealership and set the tone for how its operated...including the finance, parts and service departments.

Severum17

Reaction score
You can take it as you like. I've run into too many ruthless dealers the last few years.

Car salesmen have a terrible reputation. Who owns the dealerships? Previous car salesmen. They are the ones that run the entire dealership and set the tone for how its operated...including the finance, parts and service departments.
A terrible reputation? Absolutely. Do they run and own the dealership? That is a ridiculous assessment and far from reality.

Reaction score
Yeh, most Auto stealerships are new school, diametrically opposite from Old School. The local Chevy dealer in Evill IN, is now a mafia outfit, you should see their mugshots on the website. Da budda bah budda bing Gotti blood line continues...

sdhow

Reaction score
To think the sales management doesn't run the dealerships is moronic. I never understood how the public generally DESPISES car salesmen, but the dealership owner...who WAS a salesman, is held in such high esteem in the community.

If the sales floor is full of thieves...the floor manager being the chief thief...doesn't that make the owner Al Capone???

Members online

No members online now.