Adding Chrome Pieces to Roof Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I hate to take advantage of your helpfulness, Brian, but did you happen to come across any info about how to remove the existing "graphite" roof rail inserts?

I am still working on that!

Roof Rails Components

I wanted to chat with my brother since he works for Hendrick Collision since they are taught the tricks so that things don't break.

From what I know about the assembly there are 4 bolts that are welded to the roof or from within. I am assuming if you remove the cover to the back of the rails facing inside you will find access to them with the removal of the inserts.

Hope this gets you a little closer.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
OK.

I found a couple different ways to install this product. Ebay sells a cheesy peel and stick Chrome product for a ton of MONEY! I doubt this is what you are getting from GmPartsDirect or where ever purchased.

There are 6 retaining clips that holds that entire side panel in place, firmly. I would suggest using a panel puller made for not damaging surfaces that are visible...

amznblu

Reaction score
Duane - I ordered mine from gmpartsgiant.com, but I found them for less $ on gmpartsdirect.com.

parts #20831893, 20831894

Thanks for the suggestion, Cary! I also found them on gmpartscenter.net -- the inserts themselves are a bit more expensive, but shipping is free, which made the total transaction about $10 cheaper.

amznblu

Reaction score
OK.

I found a couple different ways to install this product. Ebay sells a cheesy peel and stick Chrome product for a ton of MONEY! I doubt this is what you are getting from GmPartsDirect or where ever purchased.

There are 6 retaining clips that holds that entire side panel in place, firmly. I would suggest using a panel puller made for not damaging surfaces that are visible...

Thanks for all the research, Brian. Seeing the replacement panels themselves should also give me an idea of how the factory pieces are attached. Between that and the info you've provided, I should be good to go. Thanks again!

CKeshen

Reaction score
gmpartsgiant.com emailed me today and I should have the chrome roof rack pieces on Friday.

Brian - I looked at the picture you have a link to above. It is very similar to one I got from my local dealer. It appears that ther are a series of clips that hold the rail cover on as you mentioned. Do you think you need to remove part #4 in the diagram before removing the rail covers? I'm going to bring to my guys at my local garage and let them put them on. They put on my grill, chrome mirror covers, chrome door handles and my mud flaps. They have done a pretty good job so far. But of course any information I can share with them is always helpful.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
gmpartsgiant.com emailed me today and I should have the chrome roof rack pieces on Friday.

Brian - I looked at the picture you have a link to above. It is very similar to one I got from my local dealer. It appears that ther are a series of clips that hold the rail cover on as you mentioned. Do you think you need to remove part #4 in the diagram before removing the rail covers? I'm going to bring to my guys at my local garage and let them put them on. They put on my grill, chrome mirror covers, chrome door handles and my mud flaps. They have done a pretty good job so far. But of course any information I can share with them is always helpful.

No cause that is for something entirely different. It may be removable for Roof rack attachments but I tried to get mine off and it seemed to be a PITA.. So I left it alone...

I assume that when the graphite panel is removed you will also have access to the nuts the hold the entire assembly to the rook of the car.

CKeshen

Reaction score
WOW - putting on those chrome rail covers took less time than opening the shipping box they came in. We just seperated the existing covers from the top with our fingers then pulled up one one section at a time to disengage the clips. The old ones came off in about ten seconds. Then just pushed the new cover down to engare each clip and done. The whole job took about 30 seconds for each side - AND they look great. Now I have the whole chrome package (I think), door handles, mirror covers, and rail covers. I was afraid the whole thing might look a little gaudy, but IMO it does not. If I get a chance I'll post a picture.

amznblu

Reaction score
WOW - putting on those chrome rail covers took less time than opening the shipping box they came in. We just seperated the existing covers from the top with our fingers then pulled up one one section at a time to disengage the clips. The old ones came off in about ten seconds. Then just pushed the new cover down to engare each clip and done. The whole job took about 30 seconds for each side - AND they look great. Now I have the whole chrome package (I think), door handles, mirror covers, and rail covers. I was afraid the whole thing might look a little gaudy, but IMO it does not. If I get a chance I'll post a picture.

That's great news! My parts just arrived, I hope to get to it this weekend. (Though, from your experience, I could probably do it on my lunch hour!)

amznblu

Reaction score
You guys need to post up pictures! :p

I took my own advice and installed the new trim today during my lunch hour :c) As with Cary, it turned out to be a very easy project. I was a bit nervous that I might break something if I just started pulling on the existing trim, so using the new chrome piece as a guide, I placed small pieces of tape to mark the locations of the clips inside the rack. I then used a plastic trim puller in those locations and the graphite trim popped out nice and clean. Then it was just a matter of aligning the new chrome piece with the slots and pressing it into place. To do both sides took me about 10 minutes, most of which was spent marking the stress points with tape. Since my Equinox is silver, the roof rack is the only area that I've wanted to "dress up" with chrome. The new trim pieces cost me a total of $273.55 and I think the investment was well worth it. (Photos below) Many thanks to Brian and Cary for all the help with this project!!

Attachments

• Rail Project.jpg
    Rail Project.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Rail Project Complete.jpg
    Rail Project Complete.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 28

Members online