2018 Equinox rear light removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18nox

Reaction score
I'm trying to upgrade to LEDs for the reverse lights... those factory low output bulbs need to go. But these lights are next to impossible to remove. No screws that I can find and no instructional videos that I can find anywhere.

Anyone successfully remove them yet?

If I end up finding one, I'll post it here.

kastner03

Reaction score
it looks like maybe you need to remove the plastic panel on the inside of the hatch to remove them i’ve been wanting to do the same just been too busy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kastner03

Reaction score
I'm trying to upgrade to LEDs for the reverse lights... those factory low output bulbs need to go. But these lights are next to impossible to remove. No screws that I can find and no instructional videos that I can find anywhere.

Anyone successfully remove them yet?

If I end up finding one, I'll post it here.

did you get it apart yet? i’m trying to find the part number for the bulb so i can order some less but nobody seems to have a listing for 2018 bulbs yet

18nox

Reaction score
2018 Equinox OEM backup lights to LED replacements

did you get it apart yet? i’m trying to find the part number for the bulb so i can order some less but nobody seems to have a listing for 2018 bulbs yet

Oh yeah.... total pain in the ass installing them too! You need to "CAREFULLY" jimmy the outer clips (closest to the edges of the hatch door) away from the brackets... you won't be able to totally remove the rear plastic inner panel. I was able to get the panel pried away far enough to get to the sockets and make the swap. Beware though, the clips have a death grip on the brackets they are mounted to... I ended up cracking my inner panel trying to pry it away from the hatch door on the passenger side...

:flipthebird: cheap Chinese plastics!

Anyway, after 30 or so minutes of wrestling with the panel and trying to re-install it, I'd say it was worth it. The lights are easily twice as bright and will light the way when backing up.

Here are the LED's I purchased and installed: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075LQDKZ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are links to pics of the backup lights:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CrF5lXx1v3fMTwR2f9rBI4JeYg5RHWDU/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/167RhG12ar0ZGT6KiUS1VjW6wWmx6TUGj/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TrsMi3l9mjAUTNidl-9qMRMY9PaayZTJ/view?usp=sharing

Good Luck!

Last edited:

kastner03

Reaction score
Oh yeah.... total pain in the ass installing them too! You need to "CAREFULLY" remove the rear plastic inner panel, I cracked mine...

:flipthebird: cheap Chinese plastic!

Anyway, after 30 or so minutes of wrestling with the panel and trying to re-install it, I'd say it was worth it. The lights are easily twice as bright and will light the way when backing up.

Here are the LED's I purchased and installed: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075LQDKZ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are links to pics of the backup lights:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CrF5lXx1v3fMTwR2f9rBI4JeYg5RHWDU/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/167RhG12ar0ZGT6KiUS1VjW6wWmx6TUGj/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TrsMi3l9mjAUTNidl-9qMRMY9PaayZTJ/view?usp=sharing

Good Luck!

thanks! that’s great news i have a pair of $30each phillips leds from my last equinox and my previous cruze that i can use. i was hesitant spending $60 on reverse light bulbs but they are super bright and are now going into their 3rd vehicle so i guess it was worth it. surprised gm has kept the bulbs the same for this long[emoji849] seems like the like to change things just to do it... like changing the damn bolt pattern for the wheels[emoji35]

kastner03

Reaction score
thanks! that’s great news i have a pair of $30each phillips leds from my last equinox and my previous cruze that i can use. i was hesitant spending $60 on reverse light bulbs but they are super bright and are now going into their 3rd vehicle so i guess it was worth it. surprised gm has kept the bulbs the same for this long[emoji849] seems like the like to change things just to do it... like changing the damn bolt pattern for the wheels[emoji35]

never mind these bulbs won’t work, when they power down they still stay on very dim

kastner03

Reaction score
65f0dcaa727d6835c048d9ac97f48181.jpg for anyone else wanting to do this, this shows all the clips you have to deal with about 4 times more than should have been needed [emoji35] i found it helps if you go around the edge with a trim removal tool and pop the outside ones loose then use a real long flat head screw driver to reach in and kinda pop loose the others

kastner03

Reaction score
sylvania zevo 921 leds are also a no go they do the same thing as the phillips i have... what’s even odder is that the backup cam stays on the screen all the time while these are installed if the cars runnign[emoji848] put an email into phillips to see what they say. i know you got urs working but trying to put the info out there for others

cosfamo

Reaction score
trying to replace my reverse lights with LED's as well.
Did you have to take off the full back panel, to change a light bulb? Appreciate any advice.
I bought the Alla Lighting 2pcs Extremely Super Bright 1000 Lumens 921 912 T15 W16W LED Bulb High Power 4014 30-SMD LED Lights Bulbs for Back-Up Reverse Light Lamps Replacement. Just need to get them on!!!

kastner03

Reaction score
the whole panel had to come off, take out the torx screw by the bottom handle and the 2 push pins then you have to carefully pry the panel off i used a wide plastic pry bar to go around the outside and get those clips loose then a really long flat head screw driver to reach in and pop the inner clips loose once it comes off be careful if you have the power lift gate because the wire for the close button isn’t very long curious to see if the bulbs you got work!!

cosfamo

Reaction score
damn. seems like a lot of work to change 2 light bulbs.
did you notice that black piece of plastic next to the lights on the tailgate?
It's wedged in right next to the lights, looks like it's holding the brake lights in place. I was hoping to be able to pull that off and then slide the housing out.

Also, thinking about trying to upgrade my headlights to LED's. Anyone know a good brand ? or reputable company in Chicago or the burbs?
why would Chevy still use halogen lights?

kastner03

Reaction score
i thought the same thing. way more work than it should be but the only thing in there is the reverse lights and i would guess 99% of people will never have to change them. i’ve never had one burn out! that black piece doe nothing. there’s nuts on the back of each reverse light housing holding it in

what trim level equinox do you have ?

kastner03

Reaction score
i’m sure there are plenty of led headlight options out there for you then sorry i can’t help there. i have an lt which has hids so i haven’t looked into any replacements

cosfamo

Reaction score
The reverse lights that I have Are a no go. They constantly stay on. I’ll need to return them. Did anyone find any that do work properly?

Also, if I put led headlights does that void the warranty? Anyone have knowledge. Thanks

kastner03

Reaction score
i kinda figured that would be the case... i talked to someone at lifetimeleds.com and they said the can bus leds they sell should fix the problem i haven’t ordered any yet tho. not sure about the headlights but i would think aslong as you’re not modifying wiring in anyway you should be fine

cosfamo

Reaction score
if anyone finds the correct LED lights that work properly to replace the reverse lights, please let me know.
thanks.

kastner03

Reaction score
the original poster had ordered some off amazon that worked for him. there’s a link posted. and as i mentioned superbrightleds.com say theirs will work for our application if you order the canbus ones

Members online

No members online now.