2015 2.4 Spark Plug tips burned off after 4K miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rvseverson

Reaction score
I replaced my spark plugs at 90K and again at 180K. Used the original 41-108's both times. Well 2 months later I'm getting Cyl3 misfire. should have swapped coils around first but after 9 years and 187K miles just went for new set of coils. Seemed to run better but I could feel it bucking slightly. Assuming good spark plugs and coils I started looking at other stuff. But I wanted to be sure that the new coils were good so I reinstalled the old 1,2 & 4 coils and a new coil in Cyl3. I was still getting cyl3 misfire code so I swapped coil 3 & 4 and the misfire stayed on cyl3. Pulled the spark plug and the tip was gone! Pull the other plugs and they are all gone too. So what happened to them? BTW I bought these off EBay. They were in AC Delco boxes and labels? Going to go to NAPA tomorrow to buy AC Delco 41-108's

Last edited:

rvseverson

Reaction score
Is it running too lean? Is the spark plug too hot? Is there detonation/pinging or does the timing seem off?
I would think if it was running lean the O2 sensors would catch it. I used the OEM ACDelco 41-108 plugs that I’ve always used. The acceleration hasn’t changed so I’d assume the timing is the same.

rvseverson

Reaction score
One picture (1of2) is of the old spark plugs that have 90k miles on them. The melted electrodes picture (2of2) is after 4k miles. That’s when it started misfiring.

NOX4ME

Reaction score
I replaced my spark plugs at 90K and again at 180K. Used the original 41-108's both times. Well 2 months later I'm getting Cyl3 misfire. should have swapped coils around first but after 9 years and 187K miles just went for new set of coils. Seemed to run better but I could feel it bucking slightly. Assuming good spark plugs and coils I started looking at other stuff. But I wanted to be sure that the new coils were good so I reinstalled the old 1,2 & 4 coils and a new coil in Cyl3. I was still getting cyl3 misfire code so I swapped coil 3 & 4 and the misfire stayed on cyl3. Pulled the spark plug and the tip was gone! Pull the other plugs and they are all gone too. So what happened to them? BTW I bought these off EBay. They were in AC Delco boxes and labels? Going to go to NAPA tomorrow to buy AC Delco 41-108's
cheap, Chinese knock offs. Go to your local auto parts store then purchase NGK spark plugs.

Big Papi

Reaction score
"bought these off EBay." Counterfeit parts have become a big problem not just on Ebay but amazon and other on line sites as well. Many reports of seemingly legit plugs, filters, and most anything turning out to be bogus. A Japan stamp on them means nothing. Lots of videos on YouTube showing the fakes.

PaulD

Reaction score
If you were going to put out a counterfeit spark plugs, would you mark them as made in China?
If you were going to make good counterfeit AC-Delco, why not put USA on them then?

Members online