2.4 lea Rough idle at working temperature only 80+ degrees

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S1406

Reaction score
Hello friends
I recently purchased a 2013 Chevy with a 2.4 LEA engine
When the vehicle reaches a temperature of 75-80 degrees Celsius + the idle becomes rough

There were several faults P0010-P0012-P0013. I replaced the VVT sensors and the faults went away.

Only P0420 left I removed the upper O2 sensor to diagnose and it was broken in the cage I ordered a new one (I'm not sure it will solve my problem) waiting to receive it.
I replaced one ignition coil that was broken (there was no fault code)
Non-original spark plugs (Bosch)
I cleaned PCV in the intake manifold..
I cleaned MAF.. (5 grams at idle, it shows in OBD)
The car starts with a touch... drives great..
No faults at all just P0420
More ideas?
Thank you friends :)

SE77

Reaction score
Just this afternoon, I pulled the throttle body off of my 2010 and gave it a good cleaning as I read it can cause a rough idle at normal op temps. Worked like a charm and took me about 20 mins.

- Simply remove the plastic intake manifold (two hose clamps)
- Remove the 4 bolts for the throttle body itself (use 7.4 inch pounds to tighten when reinstalling, star pattern)
- Unplug the electrical connection (there is a locking tab), and give it a good scrub with an old tooth brush after a TPS spray down.

*Be careful not to move the butterfly around too much as you could damage it and remember to disconnect the negative battery cable to be safe around that fan area.
* Good idea/time to replace the TPS o-ring while you're there.. cost me $13.99 CAN.

If it's idling strange after you're all done, you may need to let it re-learn.

- Run it for 3 mins
- Shut off for 60 seconds
- Run for another 3 mins
* If it's still rough, you'll need to take it on the highway to do some acceleration/decelleration attempts. 9 times out of 10 you won't even run into this problem anyway.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.