2011 Equinox 2.4L engine problems since I bought the car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EquinoxRegret

Reaction score
What really aggravates me about this is that GM and Chevrolet know dang well that the 2010-2011 2.4L engine had total garbage pins on them, causing timing chain problems which lead them to stretch and make noise, which in very short time destroys the entire engine.

If you're reading this post, you know what I'm talking about. It also affects hundreds of thousands of other cars, such as the 2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse, 2011 Buick Regal, and 2010-2011 GMC Terrain.

They've issued plenty of bulletins on this - see, for example, 12313C. There are so many other very-related problems with actuators (see 11195A), manifolds (see 14882), and the cam sensor valves (see 15285; 14710, and 15810).

I've taken my poor decision to buy this car like a man, and haven't posted until now. I paid Chevy for everything, waited many days without transportation, and lived with the constant fear that the car would stop on the highway, killing me and others. All for what?

With 90K miles on it now, my car is in the shop for the 8th time, and they want $1,457.00 to put the new chain/gaskets/tensioner on. Of course, they don't know just how damaged the car is, so this is just yet another band-aid short of putting an entirely new engine in.

The dealer (who I won't name yet) isn't doing me any favors either. I brought the car in on Monday morning, and they didn't even CALL me until Thursday morning. When I called on Wednesday, they told me that "6 people called in sick" that day.

Why should I pay them? Why should I even think of getting another GM product again?

tns58

Reaction score
What really aggravates me about this is that GM and Chevrolet know dang well that the 2010-2011 2.4L engine had total garbage pins on them, causing timing chain problems which lead them to stretch and make noise, which in very short time destroys the entire engine.

If you're reading this post, you know what I'm talking about. It also affects hundreds of thousands of other cars, such as the 2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse, 2011 Buick Regal, and 2010-2011 GMC Terrain.

They've issued plenty of bulletins on this - see, for example, 12313C. There are so many other very-related problems with actuators (see 11195A), manifolds (see 14882), and the cam sensor valves (see 15285; 14710, and 15810).

I've taken my poor decision to buy this car like a man, and haven't posted until now. I paid Chevy for everything, waited many days without transportation, and lived with the constant fear that the car would stop on the highway, killing me and others. All for what?

With 90K miles on it now, my car is in the shop for the 8th time, and they want $1,457.00 to put the new chain/gaskets/tensioner on. Of course, they don't know just how damaged the car is, so this is just yet another band-aid short of putting an entirely new engine in.

The dealer (who I won't name yet) isn't doing me any favors either. I brought the car in on Monday morning, and they didn't even CALL me until Thursday morning. When I called on Wednesday, they told me that "6 people called in sick" that day.

Why should I pay them? Why should I even think of getting another GM product again?
I have had similar woes with the 2012 Equinox and am getting ready to have the engine replaced. I too must admit to making a poor choice and must now take it like a man. This will be my last GM vehicle.

Mx574

Reaction score
My wife drives a 2011 we bought new. Ours broke down for the first time with 1950 miles on it. Yes with less than 2000 miles on it ours saw the back of a tow truck. First year or so of ownership was the worst. Went in about four times I think the first year, then they reprogrammed the computer and it got better. Ours has less than 48k miles on it and broke down yesterday, went to dealership, It should be ready for pickup today for just under 400 bucks. Can't agree with you guys more this car sucks. I will also mention I had a 2013 Silverado that I bought new put 13,400 miles on and traded it in for a 2014 f150. I want to get rid of this Equinox and we will never buy another gm vehicle. Good luck to you guys with your cars and I too am feeling the results of poor decision making with buying this Equinox.

Members online

No members online now.