Timing chain service required at 100k mi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reeeng

Reaction score
Hello all. We've got a 2015 equinox with 2.4l engine, like 118k miles. I've read that these engines are notorious for breaking timing chains or losing tension on it and jumping time. I'm not sure if it is true or not tho, if it's needed at 100k mi. I am also aware that the 2.4 l is a interference or intermittent style engine in, that during operation of the engine. It has moving parts that can overlap areas if timing isn't correct, and cause severe engine damage if timing chain fails or jumps a few too many teeth on a sprocket. With that said I'm not sure if it's "normal maintenance" or not to just replace it and all of its components either way that's news to me now...
Any suggestions or others that can corroborate this with me would be great 😸 thought it would be a good thread. I thought it's better to be safe than sorry. Just my opinion though. What do you think?

cpetku

Reaction score
Change it.

They eventually stretch and will cause issues. If it jumps too many teeth you will need a new engine since these are interference designs

A common failure is the black guide on the right side of the timing chain which often takes out the upper bolt as well. Also the top guide. Phasors are verified with a 24mm (or crescent wrench) with slight movement of the cam shaft (assuming engine is TDC and phasor timing marks are aligned). These can all be inspected by removing the valve cover. A new gasket is recommended to prevent oil leaks, but in a pinch, the cover can be reassembled with the old one.

Search for P0017 as well to understand a potential camshaft issue and look for it. Not highly publicized but it happens.

I just did my S.O.'s car which had a dealership chain replacement at 100K. It failed by 144K along with Phasors, and exhaust cam, shaft. Lots of u-tube videos out there on replacing the chains, not much on camshaft, but relatively easy when changing the chain.

mirageman

Reaction score
By what it looks like here in this forum, these chains wear out faster than timing belts, 😂!

Members online