2008 Equinox 3.4L - Click But No Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fondupot

Reaction score
Hey folks, new to the forum. But not new to car trouble.

My mom's 2008 Equinox would not start this morning. It would click, but the motor would not turn over. Nothing at all.

Yesterday, when she came home she said when she left work, it kind of lugged when she started it up. But when she got home I let it sit for a few hours and tried to start and it was perfectly fine.

Now this morning after sitting all night, I went to start it, heard a click, but no start. The interior lights come on, and the dash lights up, so the battery is not 100% dead.

The vehicle has 54,xxx miles on it. And is still on the original battery.

I am thinking that the first step will be to replace the battery and check battery cables, I actually planned on replacing it before the winter, the battery is no problem to replace.

But if I am stilling having issues, could it also be the starter?

If so, how hard are those to replace? From the quick research I have done, it looks like its located on the front of the motor, and is accessible from under the front end. Am I correct?

Any other things I should consider?

Thanks!

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Sounds like it is the batter. See if you can get it jumped and take it to an auto parts store like Auto Zone or Advanced. They will take the battery out of the car or bring a piece of equipment out to your car and test the battery for free. It will take around an hour but it's better than guessing about these things. Their system will completely charge the battery and will determine if it's bad by how quickly it loses it's charge.

If they tell you that the battery is good, reinstall or replace(in preparation for winter). If you turn the key and it clicks, dead. Have someone try to start the car while you tab the starter with a metal wrench or hammer, just tap it. It can jump start the starter as it as most likely arced itself stuck. If this is the case, replace the starter.

fondupot

Reaction score
Sounds like it is the batter. See if you can get it jumped and take it to an auto parts store like Auto Zone or Advanced. They will take the battery out of the car or bring a piece of equipment out to your car and test the battery for free. It will take around an hour but it's better than guessing about these things. Their system will completely charge the battery and will determine if it's bad by how quickly it loses it's charge.

If they tell you that the battery is good, reinstall or replace(in preparation for winter). If you turn the key and it clicks, dead. Have someone try to start the car while you tab the starter with a metal wrench or hammer, just tap it. It can jump start the starter as it as most likely arced itself stuck. If this is the case, replace the starter.

Thanks for the reply. I planned on just picking up a new battery on my way home and replacing it first. I had already planned on doing this before winter anyhow. Since it's almost 7-8 years old.

I'll report back later to see if that helps.

fondupot

Reaction score
Just to follow up.

I replaced the battery yesterday afternoon and found that the original battery was leaking pretty badly. It was definitely overdue for a replacement. I had planned on replacing it before this winter anyways.

Swapped in a new battery and the car fired right up. After sitting all night it fired up just fine too.

I will keep an on it though, in case other issues arise with the alternator or starter.

Members online