2.4 Coolant Job? Refill ? Bleeding ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackallison

Reaction score
I know the coolant bleed and refill info for the 2.4 is already hard to come by, and when you do find it, nobody says the same thing. Some say drain from bottom of rad hose to block and refill and thats it to avoid the petcock, but that leaves old coolant in the block. Some have said a drain plug on the water pump, others have said a drain plug by the starter on the block.

Additionally, I have read the countless threads on bleeding and burping the system across different forums and service records and again, no same answer. Some say to squeeze the hoses with cap off and call it a day. Another listed a multi day process of warming up the car to the red dash on the temp gauge and cycling it, etc. starflare’s post on the terrain forum seemed the best, but at the end of the day im faced with the main question; if the coolant works fine, and its such a pain, should I even worry about it? Or should i just pay someone with a vacuum pump to do it? Let me know. Thanks!

corvairbob

Reaction score
have you tried the vacuum process? that seems to be the way the dealers like to do it and you may have seen some YT about doing it that way. the kit is cheap on ebay. plus you never get all the old coolant out they do not put in drains on the block anymore. you could try reverse flush to get the system to show clear but they you still have clear water in the block that is not removable but better than the junk in it now. my guess is whatever seems to work for you every guy has there own way they like and anyone is most likely good. if you search in the south main auto channel that guy may have done one and he is kindof the go to guy

Members online