Go Back   Chevy Equinox Forum | GMC Terrain Forum | Cadillac SRX Forum > Chevy Equinox General Discussion > 2010+ Equinox General Forum

2010+ Equinox General Forum

power steering message

This is a discussion on power steering message within the 2010+ Equinox General Forum forums, part of the Chevy Equinox General Discussion category!
have a 2010 equinox with low mileage. the service power steering message appeared when i start the vehicle up.simple solution ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

bawbeebee is on a distinguished road
Default power steering message

have a 2010 equinox with low mileage. the service power steering message appeared when i start the vehicle up.simple solution is to take it to a dealer but i live in panama.does anyone have a idea what i"m looking at before i take it to a repair shop down here?
thanks
bawbeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Admin

dietz4ibanez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: power steering message

Normally that would be a indication to check your fluid level. There will be a cap and dip stick. Well at least there is on every other vehicle I have worked on. If its low it would be good to check hoses and fittings for leaks.

You can usually find the reservoir by the belt and pulleys. I don't think it is a electric system.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX HD
dietz4ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Admin

dietz4ibanez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: power steering message

I would like to clarify that the 2.4 L engine has electric power steering. The 3.0 which I have does not.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX HD
dietz4ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

CBod is on a distinguished road

i think they had problems with the electric steering units on the equinox similar to the cobalts. search for a tech bulletin, i remember seeing one about it when i was looking for info on my thumping noise. might be under a recall
CBod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Murphdog is on a distinguished road
Default Power steering message

Had problem of ‘service power steering’ message after jump starting the car. Steering worked fine and didn’t feel like paying dealer or garage $125 or so to ‘diagnose’. Eventually replaced the battery and message went away. Apparently caused by weak battery.
Murphdog is offline   Reply With Quote