Transmission swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dismounted

Reaction score
Bought the vehicle, the transmission was bad. It came with a replacement transmission. I pulled and replaced the transmission. Now, with the electronics plugged in, it will not move and acts as if it stuck between two gears. Unplug the electronics, and it will go in gear, but will not upshift. I have been told it needs to go to a dealer for a flash. Anyone have a clue what I can do?

Brennb

Reaction score
It's possible that it needs a flash, but my first step would be to check for codes with a capable scanner. I just had a young girl parked in front of my house, who's equinox had some kind of electronic glitch, that sent her car into limp mode. She couldn't accelerate, the transmission clunked into gear, and shifting to neutral put it in reverse. My scanner read the transmission control module, and it had a communication error with the ECU. Resetting the code solved the issue. I'm not sure if it's your case, but you might be able to rent or borrow a scanner from you local auto parts store, that can read and reset those codes.
Not all scanners are capable, so
Good Luck

Dismounted

Reaction score
It's possible that it needs a flash, but my first step would be to check for codes with a capable scanner. I just had a young girl parked in front of my house, who's equinox had some kind of electronic glitch, that sent her car into limp mode. She couldn't accelerate, the transmission clunked into gear, and shifting to neutral put it in reverse. My scanner read the transmission control module, and it had a communication error with the ECU. Resetting the code solved the issue. I'm not sure if it's your case, but you might be able to rent or borrow a scanner from you local auto parts store, that can read and reset those codes.
Not all scanners are capable, so
Good Luck
I have a good scanner, and also a laptop that I can flash the system with. I have just started LS Tuning, so I am a novice, but I am wondering if I clone the OS on the Equinox, and then delete the down streams, so that it is different, flash it back in, will it recognize the transmission?

theskyisoutthere

Reaction score
Yes sir, too late. Never saw the donor vehicle.
Ah ok, but the rcm in your own is behind the plastic cover, if the valve bodies matched you could swap tcm.

Well hope you got it running. I have been though some transmission nightmares. Currently doing a refresh on an 11 wave plate starting to go on 3-5-r

Members online