Transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahamonie

Reaction score
Well a few days back I sent the wife into town to get transmission fluid for our 2005 equinox she came back with dexron 6 she said that's what they told her to put in it so I didn't question it didn't even bother looking at the owner's manual I have trusted this auto parts store for a lot of years it's owned by someone I've considered a friend for a long time at any rate just days after changing the fluid I get in the car to go to town and I'm here in a really unusual noise kind of a high pitch but yet no tone growling noise I was rather dumbfounded I couldn't make out if it was the muffler or whether it was the transmission so I took the vehicle to exhaust pros and they found a leak in my exhaust where someone had tried to weld it and missed the spot anyway I drove it home but I could still hear that same odd, so I decided to seek further advice because it seems that after I found the manual and the manual says only t 6 transmission fluid should be used seems that nobody at Napa had ever heard of such a transmission fluid they tried to cross reference it and came up with the dexron 6 so I went to the Chevy dealership and the Chevy dealership seemed just as baffled so while standing at the parts counter one of their mechanics came in he claims that all GM vehicles use dexron 6 so I bought more dexron 6 replace what was in the transmission with new transmission fluid again figuring that there may have been some old transmission fluid that was in the torque converter that contaminated the transmission fluid that I just put in so I changed it again as I said the noise got quieter but it is still there I found the t6 transmission fluid online and it would appear that Toyota and some other cars from Asia used this type of transmission fluid so I got to thinking maybe that transmission is a Toyota a Nissan one of them Asian vehicles transmissions and then I went back to the owner's manual again and it says only t6 the question is is it safe to leave what I have in there and will the noise eventually dissipate has it seems to have done already or should I not drive it get rid of what's in there and replace it with the t6 before I completely destroy it the transmission any help would be greatly appreciated

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
I did some google investigating and I did see one page that said do not use Dexron VI(link below). It will cause damage. They were recommending T-IV part number 88900925. Double check your manual and see if it is actually IV not VI. I hope it all works out!

Tahamonie

Reaction score
Well Friend or not his employees sent the wife with the dexron IV saying was what she needed so they'll buy the new transmission or I'll see them in front of the Judge. Thanks for your help.

Tahamonie

Reaction score
I did some google investigating and I did see one page that said do not use Dexron VI(link below). It will cause damage. They were recommending T-IV part number 88900925. Double check your manual and see if it is actually IV not VI. I hope it all works out!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230804-140545.png
    Screenshot_20230804-140545.png
    312.1 KB · Views: 1

Severum17

Reaction score
Well Friend or not his employees sent the wife with the dexron IV saying was what she needed so they'll buy the new transmission or I'll see them in front of the Judge. Thanks for your help.
You are saying Dex 4 in this post and the first says Dex 6. Seems like you needed to do more research before changing your fluid. If you put the wrong stuff in, sorry but its on you.

Tahamonie

Reaction score
You don't know what your talking about and IV or VI doesn't matter one bit because you're not supposed to use any kind of dex period.Got it !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230804-140545.png
    Screenshot_20230804-140545.png
    312.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Severum17

Reaction score
You don't know what your talking about and IV or VI doesn't matter one bit because you're not supposed to use any kind of dex period.Got it !
After 45 years as a GM Chevrolet Dealer Parts Manager, I figure I know a couple of things. I know I would check before I took the word of an auto parts store guy as gospel. You poured the wrong stuff in there. Its on you my friend.

Tahamonie

Reaction score
Well that's the same line of shit I got from my pal that owns the local Napa ,see he was the parts Manager for 30 years at the local Ford dealership. not to mention the mechanic at the local dealership told me all GM's get dexron so the combined knowledge of the two well exceeds your 45 years.So it wasn't a blind trust thing you see and a Judge I'm sure will consider that as well and since I've sued them once already and won im sure I know enough to expect I'll win again. One thing to consider pretending to your 45 years as a parts man a parts man does not make you a mechanic and I've been turning wrenches longer than you've been on this planet ,Case Closed !

Last edited:

Severum17

Reaction score
Well that's the same line of shit I got from my pal that owns the local Napa ,see he was the parts Manager for 30 years at the local Ford dealership. not to mention the mechanic at the local dealership told me all GM's get dexron so the combined knowledge of the two well exceeds your 45 years.So it wasn't a blind trust thing you see and a Judge I'm sure will consider that as well and since I've sued them once already and won im sure I know enough to expect I'll win again. One thing to consider pretending to your 45 years as a parts man a parts man does not make you a mechanic and I've been turning wrenches longer than you've been on this planet ,Case Closed !
Pretending? Thats funny. Bottom line is your manual told you what to use and you didnt use it.
Good luck with your law suit, Maybe next time you need parts you should go yourself, and not send the wife. My favorite customers were the guys too lazy to go themselves and would send the poor ladies in that had no clue what they were supposed to get. They would then complain they got the wrong parts. Sounds like you.

cavell

Reaction score
Aisin af33 trans uses toyo t-4 fluid. I pulled the heads a few days ago and drained trans. Easy to reach fill port with head removed. 4qts fluid every 4-5 years and it’s good to go. It’s got a 1” drain plug so its easy to drain.

Members online