Timing chain issue(help)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jocool1234

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently in process of replacing timing chain on 2012 Chevy Equinox 2.4l. I'm currently having trouble with the intake and exhaust camshafts not being at 10 and 2 position when the crank shaft key is at the 12 position. What should the next step be since these marks don't line up. Does this mean the timing has jumped time? How should I go about handling this situation?

Last edited:

2012Equinox2.4Turbo

Reaction score
You're not doing it right. You need to make sure that all 3 colored timing marks on the chain are lined up properly. There is a colored mark on the chain at the crank position that will line up on the sprocket with a dot. There is also a colored mark on the chain that will line up with the exhaust cam at 10 and the intake at 2. If all of these marks are line up with the tensioner in place, your engine is in time. If you start rotating your engine these marks will not line up again until they do -if that makes sense.

Ecotec.jpg

corvairbob

Reaction score
are you telling us that your trying to get the chain marks aligned on an older chain? once the chain rotates 1 turn it is not going to re align. it may take a dozen turns to get it back. or more. if you rotated the crank so the key is at 12 pm and then look for the phaser marks to be at that 10 and 2 position. not the chain marks. and if they do not get to that position then is is possible the chain jumped

if you have the lea engine it will be different, if your going to replace the phasers. so pay attention when taking things off an lea engine. if you do a chain i would recommend doing phasers as they do break on the inside. let me know i have tons of photos for the lea engine i can post

Roger906

Reaction score
are you telling us that your trying to get the chain marks aligned on an older chain? once the chain rotates 1 turn it is not going to re align. it may take a dozen turns to get it back. or more. if you rotated the crank so the key is at 12 pm and then look for the phaser marks to be at that 10 and 2 position. not the chain marks. and if they do not get to that position then is is possible the chain jumped

if you have the lea engine it will be different, if your going to replace the phasers. so pay attention when taking things off an lea engine. if you do a chain i would recommend doing phasers as they do break on the inside. let me know i have tons of photos for the lea engine i can post
My lea engine jumped time. The guide broke n wedged causing chain to jump. I cheaped out n bought a timing set off amazon. So. Chain n the guides. I also bought the improved bolt for that same guide shoe. I followed the chiltons manual procedure for timing n install. FAIL. Engine turns over rapidly n has no compression. I did look in cylinders with camera. I could see carbon knocked off pistons but nothing significant. Some research leads me to believe I may have installed 180 degrees out...thoughts?

Members online

No members online now.