CONCERNING SOUND IN REAR? CANNOT FIGURE THIS OUT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattyT604

Reaction score
Good morning all,
I recently purchased a 2016 chevy equinox LTZ with the 2.4L v4. Everything on the car is performing and driving great (maybe not the oil consumption issue). I am experiencing now a odd sound from what i believe is the rear of the car. when at a complete stop and then accelerating i am hearing a woo woo woo woo sound that is rotational and the woo goes faster as the car gets to a faster speed but then goes and you can predominantly hear it when driving 10-30MPH. it then goes away or cannot be heard from inside the car due to road noise etc. I have taken it to a shop and they cannot seem to hear it. I know i am not crazy. this sound isn't necessarily loud but it enough that i can hear on smooth roads. Could this be a warped rotor? bad wheel bearing? and i hope to god not a transfer case issue. it is rotational sound. my opinion sounds like either a warped rotor or bad wheel bearing. I have noticed on cold start and begin to drive it is quieter but definitely is more easily hearable after the car has been driving for a bit. i am also noticing turning while accelerating you can hear best also. this noise does not go away when making a left vs. right turn. Has anyone experienced this sound before? my biggest thing is the shop i took it to cannot hear it.
Please help.
thanks,
Matt Troiano

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
Hey Matt,

Sounds like you have the right answers to me. You can check the rotor by laying it on a pane of glass and see if it fully contacts the glass. The wheel bearing should make noise if you jack it up and spin the wheel. I had a '76 Cadillac and I kept hearing a woo woo sound. I swore it was the rear gears, but it was the wind crossing the opening for the tail light.

Autoworker 74

Reaction score
Good morning all,
I recently purchased a 2016 chevy equinox LTZ with the 2.4L v4. Everything on the car is performing and driving great (maybe not the oil consumption issue). I am experiencing now a odd sound from what i believe is the rear of the car. when at a complete stop and then accelerating i am hearing a woo woo woo woo sound that is rotational and the woo goes faster as the car gets to a faster speed but then goes and you can predominantly hear it when driving 10-30MPH. it then goes away or cannot be heard from inside the car due to road noise etc. I have taken it to a shop and they cannot seem to hear it. I know i am not crazy. this sound isn't necessarily loud but it enough that i can hear on smooth roads. Could this be a warped rotor? bad wheel bearing? and i hope to god not a transfer case issue. it is rotational sound. my opinion sounds like either a warped rotor or bad wheel bearing. I have noticed on cold start and begin to drive it is quieter but definitely is more easily hearable after the car has been driving for a bit. i am also noticing turning while accelerating you can hear best also. this noise does not go away when making a left vs. right turn. Has anyone experienced this sound before? my biggest thing is the shop i took it to cannot hear it.
Please help.
thanks,
Matt Troiano
Not a mechanic but my guess would be a wheel bearing.

SteveK

Reaction score
Have you ruled out oil in the differential. Do you have front wheel drive with AWD feature? Turn it off then on to see if there is any difference.

Members online

No members online now.