Go Back   Chevy Equinox Forum | GMC Terrain Forum | Cadillac SRX Forum > Chevy Equinox General Discussion > 2010+ Equinox General Forum

2010+ Equinox General Forum

2018 Display Brightness issue

This is a discussion on 2018 Display Brightness issue within the 2010+ Equinox General Forum forums, part of the Chevy Equinox General Discussion category!
Just moved from a 2012 to a 2018 Equinox and I am finding it difficult to see in night driving ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Aheckm
  • 1 Post By gpart
  • 1 Post By Tatumd78
  • 1 Post By TessaNorth
  • 2 Post By Tatumd78

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2017, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Aheckm is on a distinguished road
Default 2018 Display Brightness issue

Just moved from a 2012 to a 2018 Equinox and I am finding it difficult to see in night driving with how bright the 7 inch Display is. There is nothing in my settings that will adjust for this even though the manual suggests there should be. I looked through some other forums and thought I would try this post in hopes I might find options. Did anyone have to go back to the dealer for help? Adjusting from yellow lights to the bright white is taking me some time.
Tatumd78 likes this.
Aheckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

kastner03 is on a distinguished road

use the dimmer beside the headlight switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kastner03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

gpart is on a distinguished road

I'm re-posting this from the other thread:
2018 Questions

BTW, ONE IMPORTANT PIECE OF INFORMATION:

THE DIMMER SWITCH IS A SPRING-LOADED PUSH-BUTTON.

It needs to be (gently) pushed in and it then pops out a little so it can be turned to adjust the lighting.

When done adjusting the IP (instrument panel) lights, either leave the button in the "out" position or push it back in to "lock" the setting in place.

This is what I posted on another thread:
2018 Questions

The dimmer knob to the left of the steering wheel on the lower dash has very little effect on the overall radio display, from what I've perceived by playing around with everything.

From memory, you'll need to select "Settings" on the touch screen Home Page, then select the sub-menu for either "Display" or "Vehicle". That contains a setting which will alter the display lighting. When you find the "Display" menu, select "Auto" so that the MyLink system will automatically adjust the lighting to what is best given the conditions it perceives.

When going into the "Settings" menu via the NAV display, for some settings and adjustments the engine may need to be running (or push start/stop ignition button to turn the accessories on - don't remember which).

Please keep us posted on whether you're able to solve this issue or need further assistance.

If that still doesn't adjust the lighting on the IP, then I'd suggest a trip to the dealer.
Aheckm likes this.
gpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Tatumd78 is on a distinguished road
Default Still too bright

I have the same complaint about the display screen being to bright. Everyone who rides in my car at night agree. The dimmer switch does not dim it enough and at the lowest setting it makes the control panel difficult to see. There is not a lighting setting on the basic 7in display. I've contacted Chevrolet twice and receive the same info; dim it with the dimmer switch. Hoping for a software update as this is a safety concern when driving at night.
Tatumd78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

mechanicbudd is on a distinguished road

try turning dimmer slowly and then back 2 clicks and then all the way dim it doesn't work all the time and may take a little finnes.If that doesn't work you can turn off display from setting scroll down to the 3rd page and you can turn off display to turn it back on just tap screen and turn it on again . And go to music screen or any other as usual. Hope this helped I can't see why they would make it as to see gages you would have to settle for being blinded by the screen. Budd
mechanicbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Reset Infotainment Center

Temporary Fix....

Turn on the car. Hold down the home button and the fast forward button on the infotainment center. Radio will reset. LCD will be dim.
Upon putting car into reverse the LCD will revert back to daytime lighting. Resetting the radio will correct the problem and allow the LCD to dim again.
Once the back up camera is activated, LCD will revert and stay in daytime lighting until radio is reset again.

I will be contacting my local chevrolet garage for a service call. Obviously the problem is in correlation to the backup camera.
Aheckm likes this.

Last edited by Tatumd78; 02-24-2018 at 11:17 PM. Reason: trouble shooting since problem
Old 03-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

TessaNorth is on a distinguished road

The manual dimmer on the left side of the dash is one solution, but I find it is still TOO bright and I end up turning the display off in the screen settings. Though, the downside is the moment you get a call, turn up the volume, etc. It turns on again
I hope that future software updates will allow you to adjust the brightness and have it stay that way.
Aheckm likes this.
TessaNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

rahul009 is on a distinguished road

this is normal issue, you find mostly
Old 03-28-2018, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default reset radio

Originally Posted by TessaNorth View Post
The manual dimmer on the left side of the dash is one solution, but I find it is still TOO bright and I end up turning the display off in the screen settings. Though, the downside is the moment you get a call, turn up the volume, etc. It turns on again
I hope that future software updates will allow you to adjust the brightness and have it stay that way.
Hold down Home and Fast Forward to reset your radio anytime its too bright. This will return the radio to the correct nighttime lighting. It malfunctions when the backup camera is used.

Two dealers have acknowledged the problem and it is with all 2018 equinox vehicles with the 7in screen.

GM/Chevrolet will not fix this problem until more owners come forward.

PLEASE REPORT THE ISSUE AND REPRODUCE THE PROBLEM TO THE REPAIR MAN SO HE CAN SEE THE MALFUNCTION. MUST BE REPORTED TO CHEVROLET.
Aheckm and 1propdad like this.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

1propdad is on a distinguished road
Default Bright LCD Safety Issue

I just leased a 2018 Equinox and also have the issue with the 7" LCD being too bright at night. It is fine until you go in reverse, then the display brightens but going out of reverse it stays bright. If I turn the dimmer down then the dash lights are unreadable. It is very distracting while driving. I can fix this by turning the car off and on but that is a pain. When you reset the radio what all gets reset?? I don't want to reprogram the radio every night. Seans like a software issue to me. Maybe Chevrolet can send us a little veil to put over the LCD at night.
1propdad is offline   Reply With Quote