Water leak pooling in passenger footwell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acodring

Reaction score
Hello!

We've had some heavy rain lately and been surprised by water pooling in the weathertech mat in the front passenger footwell. At it's worst there was a 1/2" of water in the mat. The carpet also got wet.

The garage tried pouring water over the car for a while but couldn't reproduce the problem.

After another rain I pulled out the glove box and saw water dripping from a plastic part that looks like it's attached to a frame cross member. No idea if water is dripping on it from above, or if the water was coming out of the frame through the plastic part.

We cleared leaf litter from the vents below the windshield and opened/wiped/closed the moonroof a couple times. No idea if that did anything useful but we didn't get any water leakage in the last downpour.
IMG_2363.jpg
So two questions for the forum:
1. What is the black plastic part in the photo? Any idea if it's a drain for the frame?
2. Any other advice on how to locate/resolve leaks like this?

Thanks!
Andrew

acodring

Reaction score
Also wondering if the rainstorms are red herrings. We've also had lots of humidity.

If the AC drain is blocked is this an area where the water ends up?

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
Also wondering if the rainstorms are red herrings. We've also had lots of humidity.

If the AC drain is blocked is this an area where the water ends up?
I think you would hear the water sloshing around, if that was the case. Did you check the drains in the moon roof? I had a broken drain and water was everywhere.

acodring

Reaction score
I think you would hear the water sloshing around, if that was the case. Did you check the drains in the moon roof? I had a broken drain and water was everywhere.
Thanks for reply, sorry I missed the notification until now.

The water seems to come from above the point on the framing I highlighted in the photo above. It splashes around the front right side of the footwell as it hits stuff on the way down.

After the last heavy rainfall I could see drops of water as high up as the underside of the right passenger vent ducting - basically a few inches above the highlighted point.

I didn't know there were moon roof drains until now. Are they obvious if I open the sun/moon roof and look around from outside? Or did your drain break somewhere inside the pillar?

acodring

Reaction score
Thanks for tips. I opened the roof liner and pillar cover enough to see that the drain was still attached at the sunroof and that there wasn't obvious signs of water in the pillar.

I traced the tube to where it drops into the engine compartment. Couldn't see any obvious problems on the exterior.

I got my compressor and blew the line out from the bottom. No obvious pile of gunk was left at the sunroof. Fingers crossed I cleared something out and it blew across the street.

Now I wait for the next downpour. Luckily we've got another t-storm watch this aft...

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
Thanks for tips. I opened the roof liner and pillar cover enough to see that the drain was still attached at the sunroof and that there wasn't obvious signs of water in the pillar.

I traced the tube to where it drops into the engine compartment. Couldn't see any obvious problems on the exterior.

I got my compressor and blew the line out from the bottom. No obvious pile of gunk was left at the sunroof. Fingers crossed I cleared something out and it blew across the street.

Now I wait for the next downpour. Luckily we've got another t-storm watch this aft...
I hope it solves the problem!

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
I don't trust those sun/moon roofs, glad the wife opted out of them
I have the panoramic roof and it has already leaked. I am giving it one more chance with regular maintenance. If it leaks again I will cover the entire roof in clear wrap vinyl.

Flash

Reaction score
We were looking at one used for my wife, we took it for a test driving and heard it sloshing around towards the back seat area. I pulled over to find water down on the floor area. Yep, she said no to that and yes, to a new at the time, 2022 Premier with a standard roof.

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
Mine leaked through one of the drains. It was broken. what a mess. I can see how the back would fill with water in a hurry. Even my seat belts were soaked.

TopHat

Reaction score
FWIW, I had drain problems in a Lincoln MKT sunroof, and Ford wanted to replace the whole thing for $750. I found that the drain was clogged and ran "edger" cord down the drains to clear them. Meantime, I did the same with my Chevy Avalanche, but I did more. The sunroof drained to place at the lower parts of the front door. It might be the same on Equinox. It was real nasty down there with blackened leaves etc. Cleaned that out and pour water down the sunroof drain, worked like a charm. My daughter's 2019 Equinox doesn't have sun/moon roof.

Flash

Reaction score
People have a tendency to not fully close the roof all the way, leaving the roof cover open. All types of things get down in there and mess things up.

Members online