Setting timing, tdc and valves

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meehow22

Reaction score
2012 Equinox 2.4L 150,000 kilometers

My Dad's Equinox jumped timing and bent all the valves, a result from low oil. Clearly putting the engine back together, new valves, seals, gaskets, pistons and rings. Pistons are in and pan back on, now before putting the head back on I have the intake camshaft notch in the 10oclock position and the exhaust camshaft notch in the 7oclock position. Crank key is at 12oclock.

Now my question is should all the valves be closed? Because with the camshafts set to the correct positions, the cylinder 1 valves are slightly opened?

Thank youScreenshot_20230702_220129_Gallery.jpg20230701_170247.jpg20230701_170412.jpg

SteveK

Reaction score
I don't know but would like to find out and learn. Subscribed.
Until now I did not think it was possible to have all valves closed at the same time

Uluz2a6

Reaction score
Yes you can close all the valves by removing the intake and exhaust camshafts. All camshaft caps at numbered and machined to be in a specific spot, so note the position for when reassembled. Once camshafts are out, all the valves will be closed if not bent. Stand the head on its side and spray brake clean in the exhaust and intake ports towards the back of the valves. If you see fluid come out other side of head to combustion area, then that valve isn't sealing and is likely bent.

If at that point you are repairing the head for reuse, I suggest having a full valve job, guides, stem seals, etc since need valves replaced anyhow

Be happy to help you if you are near Las Vegas

meehow22

Reaction score
Yes you can close all the valves by removing the intake and exhaust camshafts. All camshaft caps at numbered and machined to be in a specific spot, so note the position for when reassembled. Once camshafts are out, all the valves will be closed if not bent. Stand the head on its side and spray brake clean in the exhaust and intake ports towards the back of the valves. If you see fluid come out other side of head to combustion area, then that valve isn't sealing and is likely bent.

If at that point you are repairing the head for reuse, I suggest having a full valve job, guides, stem seals, etc since need valves replaced anyhow

Be happy to help you if you are near Las Vegas
All valves have been replaced with OEM, seals etc... these are pictures of reassembly. I'm just curious if the cylinder 1 valves should be closed shut completely when cylinder 1 is TDC because when I set the timing on the cam notches, intake 10oclock and exhaust 7oclock, the cylinder 1 valves are slightly open as you can see in the picture. And no im located in Canada, thank you tho.

Uluz2a6

Reaction score
Oh oh oh, I am sorry I misunderstood. Yes, these heads use a valve overlap system that eliminates need for EGR valve. There will be some load /opening there.

Uluz2a6

Reaction score
When I am installing these heads, I set the actuator sprocket on camshaft out of vehicle and turn camshaft to approximately where it will need to be timed, then remove the sprockets until needed. If your head is already mounted to block, then turn crankshaft with balancer counterclockwise 45° and then can turn camshafts safely into position.

meehow22

Reaction score
When I am installing these heads, I set the actuator sprocket on camshaft out of vehicle and turn camshaft to approximately where it will need to be timed, then remove the sprockets until needed. If your head is already mounted to block, then turn crankshaft with balancer counterclockwise 45° and then can turn camshafts safely into position.
No head is still out. The intake sprocket should be at 2oclock and the exhaust sprocket at 10oclock right?

meehow22

Reaction score
Roughly, yes. Crankshaft mark near 5 o'clock
Ok thank you i was worried cause when I had the cam notches set to the correct positions cylinder 1 valves were slightly open and I didn't want them to get bent again with it being at tdc

corvairbob

Reaction score
this is the cam setting for the other engine
1688995858299.png
my lea intake cam setting
1688996196940.jpeg
my lea exhast setting
1688996296562.jpeg

this is the cam setting for the lea engines
1688995911998.png

this is the cam phaser settings for the lea engine
1688995989316.jpeg

this is the crank for all engines

1688996047997.jpeg

this is the marks i put on the phasers when i go tthem the old ones are the bottom and the new ones wer the top and the new ones wer not the lea engine.

this is the intake
1689004706905.jpeg

this is the exhaust
1689004740318.jpeg

so orient your cams accordinly to the engine you have. thre are a few YT shoing how to do the cam timing. but if you have the cams setting it the proper spots the front cam lobes will be pointing down. if you want soem of those video links or if you need more for the lea engine let me know. on the lea engen the phasers are the same part.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.