Please help me!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schaefer36

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2014 Chevy Equinox LTZ. I had a professional install some after market subwoofers and an amplifier. I am now picking up engine noise through my subs even when the radio is turned off. The annoying noise happens at 1500 RPM or below. if i give it gas and it goes over 1500 RPM it stops immediately. The "professional" says hes never seen this problem... Im so frustrated! Can anyone help?

TheDarkKnightKnox

Reaction score
Does your Nox have the 4 Cyl or the 6 Cyl?

The reason i ask is because the 4 CYL nox uses the factory built in Sub for Active Noise Control reduction. See below for a little info from Pioneers Website. The installer may have messed with this on accident?

Engine noises can be distracting when listening to music or just soaking in some long awaited peace and serenity after a tiring day. The Active Noise Control (ANC) system continuously monitors the cabin for noise disturbance with or without the radio on. It minimizes noise and enables the driver to listen to music more clearly or, with the music off, find that hidden inner solitude.

1.Front and rear microphones detect noise in the vehicle cabin.
2.The processor analyzes the noise signal and outputs a cancellation signal.
3.The cancellation signal is amplified then converted to sound waves produced by the subwoofer to complete the cancellation.

Chevy Equinox | Pioneer Electronics USA

northcreek2624

Reaction score
Does your Nox have the 4 Cyl or the 6 Cyl?

The reason i ask is because the 4 CYL nox uses the factory built in Sub for Active Noise Control reduction. See below for a little info from Pioneers Website. The installer may have messed with this on accident?

Engine noises can be distracting when listening to music or just soaking in some long awaited peace and serenity after a tiring day. The Active Noise Control (ANC) system continuously monitors the cabin for noise disturbance with or without the radio on. It minimizes noise and enables the driver to listen to music more clearly or, with the music off, find that hidden inner solitude.

1.Front and rear microphones detect noise in the vehicle cabin.
2.The processor analyzes the noise signal and outputs a cancellation signal.
3.The cancellation signal is amplified then converted to sound waves produced by the subwoofer to complete the cancellation.

Chevy Equinox | Pioneer Electronics USA

Hearing all this makes one wonder why you would want to mess with the well thought out Pioneer system :banghead:

Bicdaddy

Reaction score
If there is engine noise through your speakers, it means the installer didn't find a proper ground, or additional grounding needs to be done.

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
Many years ago ,stores like radio shack sold " noise chokes " and " noise suppressors "
I have no idea if they still do, that was over 40 years ago when it was a big problem in cars

jne232

Reaction score
A few possibilities....

The reason for this sound is related to one of two following issues, however, keep in mind it could be both of them.

1. The engine noise is mainly caused by running the high current power wire too close to the RCA's or speaker wire depending if you are using high or low level inputs. Low level inputs are when we use RCA's to feed the signal to your amplifier. High level inputs are when the existing door speaker wire inputs are tapped (spliced) into to provide the signal to your amplifier. This leads us into possible issue number 2...

2. It is possible that the installer used the wrong speaker wires to provide the high level input. If the installer tapped in the rear cargo area speaker wire to the ANC subwoofer, you WILL ALWAYS have the engine noise as the noise cancelation subwoofer is provided the engine noise as a signal hense providing the ANC a sound to cancel out.

The factory amplifier (under the steering column) must be used to provide the needed high level input to your aftermarket amplifier.

Let us know if your installer used RCA's or the high level speaker wires as the input to your amplifier. This will be the extra information needed to provide a proper diagnosis.

I installed a Rockford Fostgate P300-12 in my 2013 Equinox with the ANC system and no Pioneer stereo. I have zero noise other than loud music in my stereo. No subwoofer turn on pop and no negative effects on the ANC system. It was an absolutley perfect and simple install that only cosumed about 3 hours of my time on a 30 degree winter day.

TheDarkKnightKnox

Reaction score
Hearing all this makes one wonder why you would want to mess with the well thought out Pioneer system :banghead:

The only reason i would want to mess with it, is so i could adjust the factory subwoofer individually. Only being able to adjust the whole vehicle bass is a major downfall.

Camaro69car

Reaction score
any update on this. Could also be a gain issue if you're running a LOC. or a bad ground.

Dpryvd

Reaction score
Adding Aftermarket Sub to Equinox

This vehicle has a subwoofer in the back that reproduces the engine and cabin noise picked up from an interior front and rear mounted microphone out of phase in an attempt to cancel it out, similar to noise canceling headphones. In fact, the base model equiped radio doesnt even play music through this sub. An attempt to attach a line level converter to this factory sub will only amplify the reverse cabin noise thus reproducing actual motor noise unlike the common alternator whine everyone is used to having problems with.. I haven't added a sub in one of these but if you are desperate... The line level converter should only be tied into the front or rear door speakers as they reproduce the 0-80hz frequencies necessary to add aftermarket amp and subs, minus the ANC signal.

yosemitesam

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2014 Chevy Equinox LTZ. I had a professional install some after market subwoofers and an amplifier. I am now picking up engine noise through my subs even when the radio is turned off. The annoying noise happens at 1500 RPM or below. if i give it gas and it goes over 1500 RPM it stops immediately. The "professional" says hes never seen this problem... Im so frustrated! Can anyone help?

They make filters for that.

Nocka69

Reaction score
Remove the number 7 fuse inside your the car fuse panel. The thump from the amp should go away.

Members online

No members online now.