P0178

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thebeave

Reaction score
Hey
Last year I had a used engine installed in my 15 2.4l after mine self destructed lol, anyway afterwards I had a CEL P0178 fuel composition sensor low voltage. The mechanic who installed it (as useless as tits on a bull) but is at the shop where I bought it, told me that the sensor must have gone bad at the same time as the engine. He said to just ignore it as it’s not important. As time went by I started getting random misfires especially over 100kmh! I finally took it in to one shop that wasn’t able to find the issue but never charged me anything. He recommended another shop so I made an appointment. On my first visit they said the sensor was bad and they put on a new one, same thing. On the second visit they discovered when the original mechanic installed the engine he butchered two harnesses into one and that the one that was plugged into the computer came from a vehicle that didn’t have the sensor so it didn’t have the pin in it either! I went to a junk yard and grabbed that plug and they were able to remove a pin from that and add it to mine. The then ran a new wire to the sensor and now it’s working and running fine!
Just thought I’d let others know just in case it happens to them or at least a starting point as I couldn’t find any information about it online and I even mentioned it to a couple of mechanics and on here and was basically told that I was on the wrong track lol!

SteveK

Reaction score
Did you return to the original install shop, tell them what they missed and ask for a refund for costs incurred to find and fix? Give them the chance to say sorry.

Thebeave

Reaction score
No I didn’t but I might, I didn’t ever want to go back there again lol!

Alex97

Reaction score
Can you please show a description of the work performed. I have a 13’ ltz flex fuel and we have the same issue. Shop replaced harness and it has code P0178. Thanks.!

Members online